'98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower than Passenger's side at Front Bumper

My '98 Sonoma - Driver's side is 1.5" lower than the Passenger's side at the Front Bumper and I don't see whee the problem is just lookin' at it.

Could someone give me some pointers?

My Left and Right rear bumper measure within 1/4" of each other!

I jacked up the front end and shook it for play and got very little play. I'm not all that experienced w/ front-end work... just never had to do much except change a few tie-rods now and then.

Thanks folks!

Reply to
Just_Makin_It

'98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower than Passenger's side at Front Bumper Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 2:54pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Just_Makin_It)

My '98 Sonoma - Driver's side is 1.5" lower than the Passenger's side at the Front Bumper and I don't see whee the problem is just lookin' at it.

Could someone give me some pointers?

My Left and Right rear bumper measure within 1/4" of each other!

I jacked up the front end and shook it for play and got very little play. I'm not all that experienced w/ front-end work... just never had to do much except change a few tie-rods now and then.

Thanks folks! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh the little things in life that bother us.

go get that alignment you've been meaning to get for the last 3 years.....all will be well.

Scrib Abell ~~next customer~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Shot coil spring (2WD), or out-of adjustment torsion bar (4WD) on that corner.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

ride hieght. Just dont ask Doc about brakes...he's real sensitive about that for some reason :)

Reply to
Scott M

2WD here Doc... I don't see any adjustment to the torsion bar... it's in-place tight! ??

I don't see how wheel alignment is going to make up for 1.5" of height... but what do I know? :) It drives pretty doggone straight on the road... at all speeds... but I know that isn't proof that it doesn't need it.

Yeah... that's what I figured... and have been told, but I don't always figure right and I don't tend to beleive everything that some people tell me either! :)

Yes! I sorta' gathered that! :)

oh the little things in life that bother us.

Another comment made by Scrip... ( I believe it was Scrip! )

" go get that alignment you've been meaning to get for the last 3 years.....all will be well. "

I've only owned had this truck afor about 2 weeks.. I'm just trying to get some of the kinks worked out...

I was planning to have the alignment done shortly... wheel bearings packed, etc....

So... perhaps there is more to the alignment than I have imagined w/ respect to the height??! It wouldn't be the first time! :)

BTW, I have been posting here before under the name " Jalin ". I had to switch to Google to post and retrieve messages (what a pain)... Can't get the ComCast Newsgroups to come in now... we're working w/ them on this problem!

Thanks...

Reply to
Just_Makin_It

~ "Just_Makin_It"

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Hi Scribs !

" JP " is just fine w/ me Scribs! That is one of my nicknames.

I'm back w/ Comcast now... so, now I've got my regular Mozilla reader.... sorry for the confusion! :( I hope to get this cr@p fixed on of these days!

Yep! I was just headin' out the door to check into it!

I would VERY MUCH enjoy reading more about it, Scribs and I _DO_ appreciate your offer! I've worked on a LOTS of various equipment in my day...

...but I'll be the first to confess that I have little technical expertise w/ front end work... except for replacing a few worn out parts and then taking the vehicles for alignment soon thereafter!

Another fella' (Mr. X) told me that my Left tie rod and idler arm were worn, but when I checked it out (and I took it to two other people for an opinion)... I/WE found NOTHING loose in the steering linkage an found the torsion bars to be sound!!

Mr. X also told me that my wheel bearing was loose on the LF. Again, I pesonally checked it out... along w/ two other people, and we found nothing out of spec here either! I do want to check and repack both froint wheels (going on 60K miles)... but geez! They're not even close to fallin' off!

Summary... I'll be gone for a few hours now and I hope to check on some alignment shops around here in the mean time... per your strong suggestion!

And again... please pass along to me any/all of your knowledge. I'm not here to argue w/ anyone... I WANT to learn something whenever I can!

Thanks Scribs! < I'm sorry about mistakenly referring to you as Scipps or Scrips... or whatever name I used!

Reply to
Jack

----------------------------------------- Exactly....You had better get that hieght problem fixed first or you are going to be paying for two alignments. Did you say it has torsion arms? If it does, just have them crank up the low one till it matches the other, then align it. It is possible that the alignment is the cause of the hieght problem, but not likely. You say you looked closely at it. It only takes a couple degrees of camber to actually be able to see that the wheel is off camber. Anywho, it would have to be WAY out of whack to lower/raise it 1 1/2 inches. I dont think your tires would take it very far, and you would notice a really bad pull.

Submitted by ScottM ~wondering how far he would have to angle the kitchen table leg to lower it an inch and a half~ :)

Reply to
Scott M

~ Re: '98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower ..what's an alignment??? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 1:21pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jack)

Hi Scribs !

" JP " is just fine w/ me Scribs! =A0 That is one of my nicknames.

[...]

And again... please pass along to me any/all of your knowledge. I'm not here to argue w/ anyone... I WANT to learn something whenever I can! ~~~~~ ~~~~~ JP, my brother's name is Jack....and he gets called a lot of names too..........

As far as "all of" my knowledge...........I don't want to be responsible for your head blowing up and carrying out some innocent bystander with you.....

so..........here's just enough to give you a headache........

Terms & Theories Address:

have fun

scrib abell

Reply to
Scribb Abell

..

Re: '98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower ..what's an alignment???

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Re: '98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower ..what's an alignment???

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Hatt

. Re: '98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower ..what's an alignment???

Reply to
Scribb Abell

~ on tonights episode to the peoples choice award winning sitcom.... alt.trucks.chevy

we hear...... snipped-for-privacy@lycosNOSPAM.com (Hatt) say........

You could get a truck that don't have front wheel bearings like mine. An

88 S-10 4x4, then you don't h ave to worry about that part anyway.

Hatt ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Hatt, how many times have I got to tell you....

LOOK IN THE BOOK ...........

before you open your mouth to the customers.

That's it son.......you're back on broom duty for

2 weeks.

No more wrenches for you!!

Scrib Abell ~:~ swears he won't take another apprentice on again~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

You have wheel bearings. They're in a sealed unit just behind the rotor (it's called the "front hub assembley"). Pricey as all hell to replace.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi Scott, Scribs, Doc & ? !

Scott M wrote: >>-- >>

I went to a 'recommended' alignment shop this PM... per Scrib's prescription. Mr. A (owner of alignment/tire/high performance shop) said that the alignment would not make up the 1.5" difference in this case.

Reply to
Jack

~~

Re: '98 Sonoma - Driver's side 1.5" lower .. Scott, Scribs, Doc & ? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 10:29pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jack) Hi Scott, Scribs, Doc & ? ! Scott M wrote:

Reply to
Scribb Abell

The dude should have at least suggested using the coil sping spacers. ~~random thought~~

JP > It WAS the dude who suggested using them first... That's one of the reasons why I decided to go as planned. I've had others (not in here) tell me to replace the coil springs.... don't think so!

Stick in your spacers and move on....... Normal alignment technique........find a better alignment shop.

JP > That's the plan... but the dude is getting first shot at the alignment. The shop that recommended the dude has a very fine reputation, and I don't think they would intentionally steer me wrong, Scrib. Tghe dude's shop is neat and clean... and it's not because there isn't any work being done around there. I could be wrong... and if I am... I'll fess up.

Scrib Abell ~:~hopes you looked at the site he sent you... it clears up a lot of alignment questions~:~

JP > It's on my to do list... too many irons in the fire right now, but it will get done. Thanks Scrib.

JP

Reply to
Jack

(4 all those who care...read the thread) ~ Jack,

i'ma guess'n ...i ain't as good at read'n as i need to be...

My apologies to the top front-end tech.....

tell him.. job well done!

scrib

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Scrib,

Ain't no problem... after readin' what I wrote, I didn't exactly tell the story very well either!

Y'er still on the money.... tell'n me to GET THAT WHEEL Alignment... and as you said... gettin' those springs jacked up before starting up the rest of the alignment process.

I still promise to get back to your suggested web page... hae had company and interruptions all day long. Have to leave here shortly and might not be back til late tonight. Keep on me now... !!

Thanks for your help... wish I could return the favor.

Jack

Scribb Abell wrote:

Reply to
Jack