Sidelight conversion to LED on 200TDI

Hi Does anyone know where to get a White LED cluster that will fit the sidelight on a 200TFI Defender? The original lamps have a round body with two locating pins opp each other.

The electrical connections are via the metal lamp body and a central solder pade at the base of the lamp.

TIA and a Merry Criimble to all Landie Owners.

Zen

Reply to
Zen

Hi there

You have just hit lucky my freind

Were about are you in the country I may be able to help you on this as im going to be doing the same on a series 3 and putting a strobe effect flasher on the leds so that it looks like there are strobe tubes in the lamp housing but as you know there is no room in a lamp pod to take the strobe tube.

I have already worked all this out and will be more than happy to try and help you out if I can.

If you want to do the stop tail lamps then your local motorworld store should stock them if not as them to ring a cat b or cat a shop as there standard stock items in the bigger stores and they should be able to stock transfere or order in from the central warehouse for you I know this becouse I am an ex manager of theres.

All the best for the festive season

Reply to
Paul Henry

be careful of the vehicle lighting regs !

PC plod may be unhappy, unless you and your vehicle fit into a category witha 'right to use' special warning lights etc.

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

Hi there

that is not going to be a problem with pc plod

I work as safety crew at a number of motorsport venues and types and the landy is going to be setup for recovery and incident managment mainly at motorsport events and some public events too here and there.

I currently have a laguna set up pritey much the same way as the landy is going to be setup but the landy will have a lot more equipment on board. Never had a problem from plod yet normally becouse I am eaither helping the plod or im first on scene and they quickly get the message of what i need now later and that unless they can help to back off only probs I have had was once with a north wales copper but that was nothing major he just thought that the fact my brake lights were alt flashing with the hi level reds was a bit odd untill his traffic unit turned up and his fogs and reds were doing the same :-)

Sometimes I wont be using the full lightbar on the landy if its on the laguna but I want some sort of warning lights on the landy and its easier to use existing light units and LEDS if set up right with the right fear are fantastic have a look at most new st john ambulances the front grille lights are led on most of them now and alot of uk emergency services are slowly trying out LEDS as an option to halogen as they use a lot les power and last a lot longer than halogen or strobe I have a set in my grille and from a distance you cant tell there led until you get close enough to see the individual leds by then your to dam close :-)

All the best for the new year and I hope you find a soucre for the lights if I find an online source I will pass them on the only one I can think off I dont have details for but will post the link as soon as I can find the web site.

All the best Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

To simply answer that, the Police are the ONLY emergency service allowed to do that. All these Ambulances, Fire Engines, Rapid Response Paramedic Cars, Mountain Rescue Vehicles, Cave Rescue, Mines Rescue etc etc etc are Technically not allowed to have Red repeaters and/or flashing Rear Reds Full Stop.

Most Fire engines are illegal because you can not see the Blue Lights at the front of the vehicle flashing in a 360 degree horizontal plane, especially at the rear of an appliances. The blue spots on the rear used as repeaters are not legal as well.

The Law is an ass when it comes to Emergency Vehicle Lighting, the Police can do what they want and the rest do it illegally but the Police play a blind eye 90% of the time. Its that 10% you have to really worry about.

We've just equipped our latest Landrover Ambulance out with LED Blues and Reds ( Yes I know what I have just said ) They came via Federal Vama a Spanish Company but with a European Sales Manager in Manchester, damn nice bloke called Phil Frost.

And the same to you as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

Hi Dave

erm oh hell oops sorry :-)

I agree there the law is great if you apply it 10 - 15 years back but not now there are better ways than the law states and you only have to look at whats in use to see it.

Its about time they just dumped the lighting regs and stuck with the who why and when bit not all vehicles will be able to carry lights to meet the law all the time.

Who is it you wrok for you dont see to many Landrover Ambos knocking around.

As for the LEDS how do you find them I am really tempted by the whelen liberty unit as its all LED and looks good too the one thing I do worry about is the battery going dead on me and its on a split charge now but I have noticed it can go down very quickly.

Thank you Paul

Reply to
Paul Henry

"Dave H" wrote

Is the law about front fog lamps being higher than 18" still law?

If yes, then why are so many cars seen with these lights on?

PC plod ignores them.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg

Probably cos they have 1,001 other (much better) things to worry about?

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme