similar design

Hello All. I noticed from a website selling Landrovers a Austin Gipsy. This looked very similar to the series 1 model. I would like to know what were their connections.

Reply to
John Oakes

The only connection was that the gipsy was designed as a competitor for the Landrover, came out in 1958, featured four wheel independent suspension with trailing arms and rubber springs. Was a more or less total flop, the independent suspension was dropped after a couple of years, and I think it was totally abandoned after Rover joined the Leyland group. Its main advantage was probably that it provided the Landrover with a domestic competitor and provided impulse for improvements in the early S2/2a, but on the other hand lulled them into complacency which resulted in the loss of major markets to the Landcruiser, which even in 1958 was far better than the Gipsy, despite being largely a Jeep copy with a Chevrolet engine and a single speed transfer case. JD

Reply to
JD

It also used a Rolls Royce B40 engine which made it more expensive and difficult and expensive to maintain.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with the Austin Champ.

I thought the Gypsy used a 2.2 petrol engine. The all steel bodyrusted a treat on them .Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

How's shep?

Reply to
Nige

And it used steel body panels which of course rust, as well as adding to the weight.

Reply to
Larry

You are getting it mixed up with the Austin Champ, an earlier, totally different design that was designed as a military vehicle and sold only to armed forces (new). They looked nothing like a Landrover, and did have their good points (unlike the Gipsy), although, as one owner I knew commented "the thing has 57 grease nipples that have to be serviced every

1500 miles - and if you don't, expect problems." JD
Reply to
JD

My apologies. I often get those two mixed up.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Ha Ha Ha Ha old one the best, doing well as a foot rest. As to the Austin Gipsy it is advertise on G&S Drake website.

Reply to
John Oakes

Button bashing in practice for another round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon, John Oakes left Shakespeare to the monkeys by typing...

Just a small point - Austin chassis(es) piss all over lr CHASSISES. I'm LR 100% but can appreciate quality. Gypsy's make LR look shit. (FULL STOP) And I'm LR.

Reply to
weallhatebillgates