Tax free / exempt. Changing?

I've heard that soon cars will be taxed according to their emissions.

Firstly, as I don't own a Landrover (YET), will the tax be high on them?

And secondly, does this mean that Tax free / exempt cars are being scrapped (not literally).

Reply to
Quagga.R.T.M

cars built after a certain date (March 2001 i think) are already taxed on different rates according to their emissions. cars build before that are taxed by engine capacity - and the landy already falls into the largest scale bracket (unless old enough to be tax exempt).

As a percentage of cars on the road now, the number of tax exempt ones can't be that significant, though i'm sure theyd still love to scrap it and claw a few more quid from us. I can't see it happening for a few years though since I doubt they want to get any more unpopular with motorists.

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Tom Woods writes

Well the date is fixed not the age of the car so it is a declining number which qualify. Eventually it will be 99.9% Land Rovers, the Lib Dems will be in power and they will scrap it.

[I could have sworn a pig just flew past the window]
Reply to
hugh