That bl***y fuel tank again...

Hi folks,

Sometime soon I'll post the full saga of the fuel tank, so you can all have a jolly good laugh at my expense, but right now, I just need to get the wretched beast back on the road. So, can anyone who's done this gargantuan task before, offer some help:

I've got the tank back in, and worked out couplings to the existing fuel lines, but I can't see how to re-fit the tank sender unit (and fuel outlet). It has a clamping ring, that looks as if it should rotate to lock the sender in place, but I can't work out how to achieve sufficient torque to do it. It's rather hard to get at, and I've bent one of the lugs, trying to tap it round with a large screwdriver and hammer.

So, before I do permanent damage, does anyone know how it's supposed to be done? Is it just lots of grease and a pin punch, or what? Is there a special tool I don't have and will be forced to make?

Desperately in need of advice, as it's now dark and I need the thing tomorrow...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I use a screwdriver - but I can never recall any problems while doing so?

Do you have the sealing ring in correctly first though? It should go in first, then level unit then lock ring.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Yes indeed exactly as per the diagram in the parts book/..

I think the issue may be that it's a Canadian made pattern tank. Generally it's quite well done - heavily zinc plated etc. but it's not quite the same shape as my pukka Land Rover tray (it was a pig getting the bolts done up, as the tank pushed the tray out of shape a bit).

I'm wondering if the retaining ring that's fitted to the tank may be just slightly too shallow, requiring that much extra compression force on the rubber washer underneath when you rotate the clamping ring.

I'm going to take it off again, straighten the bent lug, liberally smear everything with lithium grease, and have another go...

...watch this space. If you see drips of blood on the messages, you'll know I ended up stabbing my finger again with the screwdriver :(

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig