The usual P38 problem - air suspension!

Been having some weirdness with the suspension recently and now it has decided to give up!

Firstly, sometimes the front o/s wheel will sink to the ground when the car is left parked up. But it doesn't happen all the time, which is a bit weird because if there was a leak I would expect it to happen every time???

When I pull up at traffic lights, the front end lifts up into the correct position - presumably it has 'sunk' down whilst being driven. Although it never sinks down to the stops.

Final weirdness, when it is cold (less than zero degrees C) the front end takes ages to come up to position. Other than that, the suspension normally comes to correct height within a few seconds of starting the car.

I was driving down the motorway yesterday and it beeped three times and said 'EAS fault' and all my lights are lit up on the height control. Suspension still seems to work, as in that it goes up to the correct height when I start the car, but if I sit stationary I can see the front stay level, then slowly sink, then come up quickly. It does this in a cycle about every 3-4 mins.

Any idea what may be wrong? I'm hoping it is one (or more) height sensors and nothing serious. How easy is the system to diagnose? and any hints/tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Very interested in the responses as I have exactly the same problem on my 1993 RR classic. It finally sank to the bump stops last night and I'm leaving in a few minutes to go in to have it looked at and reset. The mechanic on the phone told me that he also thought it was a height sensor.

Arden

1993 Range Rover County LWB (Vogue)
Reply to
Arden

Done a bit more investigation, and I can definitely hear a leak from the front o/s, but I'm sure this has been here a while and is not the cause of the EAS fault.

After reading around I think it is probably an electrical connection or height sensor.

Local LR Main Dealer absolutely useless, I am due to go away tomorrow for a while, and just wanted a quick diag. to see if it was anything serious, they refused to plug it into their equipment unless I booked it in for a whole day.

I don't have the 35MPH message, so as far as I understand it is a less serious fault than it could be!

Anyone further help would be appreciated on which connections (and where!) I can check / refit.

Cheers,

Matt.

Arden wrote:

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Matthew Maddock uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Matt,

Without wanting this to sound like a rant have you done a google on the "groups" section for this group. This has been done to death several times in my presence here. Many occasions with pointers to other forums which do it to death a bit more.

HTH

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Unlikely, the fact that it corrects itself to the right level after is sinks indicates that the height sensor is fine.

If you have a leak, find it and cure that before making any further investigation, it will probably solve most of your problems.

Reply to
SimonJ

Lee,

I've been trying, but not in the groups section, I'll give that a go.

cheers,

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock