T-box front output shaft

while hunting an elusive vibe under the disco, I noticed that if I grab the front prop and attempt to waggle it, it's just possible to determine lateral movement of the front output flange in its bearing. It's very slight movement - probably only a few thou'. Is this:

normal?

abnormal?

major problem needing immediate fix?

major problem eventually?

ignorable problem?

and lastly, likely to cause the elusive vibe?

There's no obvious noise, but then the disco is fairly well sound-insulated and it's diesel..

Reply to
Austin Shackles

yes, yet to find one with zero play.

Doubt it.

Aren't they all, given lots of miles?

I'd say so.

Unlikely, my low-mileage Disco II has probably more play than you are quoting. I had a vib issue at 65mph plus, cured it totally by rotating the transmission brake drum 180 degrees. Could be worth a try? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:08:39 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

The vibe is relatively recent though - in fact, it was vibing like a vibey thing, which turned out to be a shot UJ. Having fixed that, in theory, it should be OK

I didn't actually check the rear shaft, last time I was under it... could be that. Hitherto on all LRs I've only had problems with front UJs. Might try rotating the front shaft 180 degrees on the flanges... or on one flange.

and before anyone says anything, no I didn't pull the shaft apart at put it back at the wrong angle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Why not?

Don't you think you should?

You could at least disprove the theory that some sneaky sneakster hasn't sneaked up and done this.

"Strange things happen up on the moors"

;-)

Lee D

Reply to