Towing advice please!

Hi all, i've bought a classic which needs restoring but it isn't roadworty to drive home. I've been offered the loan of a heavy duty A-frame and whilst i have used them before, i haven't any experience of towing a classic with one. I'd appreciate any help or comments on this, also as i've always attached an A-frame to the wishbones of the vehicles i've towed, where is best on a classic?

thanks Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

I was under the impression its illegal to tow any vehicle without a current MOT, whether you use an A frame or not.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Its MOT'd until August 18th & taxed til end of August, it isn't roadworthy in the respect that it isn't a runner. It's off the road due to engine failure. I bought it to restore as it needs welding, interior work, a lot of TLC and the engine repaired. I'm the registered owner now and i was intending using the a-frame as a recovery method. W.

Reply to
lifeis

Depending on what you mean by an A frame: it's hardly a recovery so I doubt it's legal. What distance involved?

Whatever else you do remove the propshafts.

I think you'd be far better off with a full trailer.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

seems like it will be a problem. I'll be towing it 45 miles max. I know to remove the props so no worries there. If i had a full trailer it would be nice and solve any probs but i can't see me getting a hold of one. thanks for replies

lifeis

last time we had to hire a trailer it cost £30 for the morning (picked up at

8am on a saturday and returned by 1pm) peanuts when up against other potential fines.

I can recommend the wessex trailers plant trailer - most excellent for moving landrover sized items.

Whereabouts are you?

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

If you're near NW Surrey and have a couple of hours to adjust the brakes then you can borrow my bateson.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

If it needs welding on the chassis, then an A frame isn't going to hold, surely?

I once towed a Series 1 from Warwickshire down to Kent - first 30 miles on an A-Frame. I stopped & hired a trailer as it was so difficult to tow for many reasons, including the fact the Series 1 steering wasn't crash hot as it'd been in a scrap yard for many years (I was to discover quickly that it really belonged there)

I don't advise an A frame, legal or not.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Its only necessary to remove the props with a suspended tow, for 4 wheels on ground towing select neutral on main gearbox and transfer box. Derek

Reply to
Derek

If under tow, you dont need MOT, Insurance, Tax, and if on a "A" frame you don't even need a driver !(of the towed car)

Reply to
METWO

On or around Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:21:28 +0100, "METWO" enlightened us thusly:

You sure about that? got a convincing source?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's how it used to be, it was considered as one vehicle howsoever it was fastened to it, the towing vehicle and driver were responsible for the lot. My old man used to tow me all over the place on a rope when recovering broken down vehicles and I was under age at that. Doubt you would get away with it now though, I think you would at least need trailer insurance cover for the A frame.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily