v8 crank pulley - locking the flywheel so i can undo it

I've managed to get a socket to fit on the 101 crank pulley - however how do i lock the flywheel up so that i can undo it without turning over the engine.

Ive got the starter off but i cant work out how to wedge something in there against the teeth.

Help I'm stuck!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

I found a piece of angle iron wedged in the teeth just nicely, 25mm and about 3mm thick IIRC.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I have found the same thing! :)

made one bit of angle that bolted on in place of the starter and then another bit in end first wedged it nicely and the pulley came off with a 32mm socket :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

No brakes! (took them apart first and decided to swap the engine because it would be out of commission for a few days due to brake lackage)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Stick it in gear and get an assistant to stand on the brakes? (unless you've already pulled it out of course)

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Oh bugger and I doubt the transmission brake would be man enough mine wouldn't anyhoo Derek

Reply to
Derek

No - the engine just turned over when it was in gear and the handbrake was on. I got it off with a couple of bits of angle iron down the starter hole in the end so its alright now! :) Just need to get the rest of the thing stripped now though!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Which gear did you use ?

I took my V8 crank pulley off a few weeks ago, stuck it in 4th gear (which I think means straight through the box without involving the layshaft), and the transmission brake was man enough for the job. Did the same on my TD 110 many years back, and it took a 3 foot pole to move it. I was scared I would break the gearbox, but it held up OK.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve