RRC V8 - misfires when first started.

Um, as title really

Ok, it's a played with Rangie, but it uses the standard flow meter, dizzy, ECU etc so the symptoms are hopefully easy enough to diagnose.

When the engine is cold it will splutter and occasionally pop back through the air filter when trying to accelerate. After 1/4 mile or so it begins to clear its throat and behaves fine after that.

If the vehicle is stopped for a couple of minutes it'll do the same thing but only for 10 seconds or so then it's fine.

Occasionally on motorways or a quick cruise it will stutter for a second or two when the throttle is opened - to overtake, for example but most of the time it is fine. Behaves fine when the turbo kicks in but I can't work out if that is because the turbo has its own management system.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:f6c8mo$j13$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org, Pete M wibbled :

What Turbo? Ain't no Turbo ona V8.

Reply to
GbH

Tis on this one!. I'm assuming it has 2 of em too? :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Is it about 100ft tall and has NASA written on the side?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

there was a 3.9 turbo v8 engine on ebay last week. I was sooo tempted but then though about how much it is gonna cost if i break stuff with

2 turbos to replace and 2 sets of pistons and head gaskets..

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

In news:468a1863$0$8734$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, GbH wittered on forthwith;

This turbo :

Sorry for lack of link tidiness!.

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tom Woods wittered on forthwith;

Mine's only got one turbo but it has got Omega forged meaty pistons in.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f6c8mo$j13$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Splutters on one cylinder, or randomly??

If one, I would start with checking all plugs carefully for signs of being steam cleaned, you may have a slightly weepy HG or manifold gasket on one side allowing some coolant into a pot, inlet gasket being the favourite..

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tom Woods wibbled :

Let me clarify then: Ain't no Turbo ona RRC V8. Nor is there on a RR sport, that's supercharged. The only ones with native turbos are the diesels. If you got turbo(s) on a petrol it ain't standard., nor is it a classic!

Reply to
GbH

sounds like it has an air leak to me?

gary

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f6c8mo$j13$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Reply to
Gary

In news:468a263f$0$8715$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, GbH wittered on forthwith;

There's a turbo on this RRC V8, it's a Wood and Pickett converted Classic with a Janspeed Turbo conversion.

Why this means it's not a classic to you, I don't know.

As I stated in my original post apart from the turbo management system, the rest is standard RRC stuff. Air flow meter, ECU, Distributor are all standard V8 stuff as fitted new.

Reply to
Pete M

The clue is in the name mate Wood and Pickett as well as Schuler / Overfinch did build modified RRC's and turbo conversions were also made by Janspeed and Turbo Technics . Another of Turbo Technics toys was the Ford Capri 3.0S TT and I'm happy to say I got to drive the test car which was nowt short of amazing probably nearer to insanity than any car I've driven. Derek

Reply to
Derek

This is old enough to have carbs.? Enough oil in the dashpots?

Strombergs? - leaky diaphragm?

Reply to
Dougal

Tis EFi, but ta for the input.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Tue, 3 Jul 2007 02:28:00 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

I'd check the cold-start aspects of the system for correct function to start with.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There is an ECU temp sensor (near the thermostat - it is not the one that drives the guage...), and also an ECU fuel temp sensor. Check both of these are working properly - the symptoms you describe can be caused by these reading out of range.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

That rules them out then!

Reply to