V8 Cylinder Head Questions - water/oil emulsion

Success! The rain stopped long enough today for me to get the right hand cylinder head off the V8 (5/8" walled socket and a long extension did the trick with the baulky head bolts). Cylinder number two had about an inch of water/anti freeze mix in it but I could see no sign of a gasket failure - should I have?? Anyways - valley gasket had also gone and there were substantial amounts of that lovely mayonaisse like water and oil emulsion under the gasket and under the rocker cover. I've cleaned all this up but the question is how to get the stuff out of the rest of the engine - I have a plentiful supply of oil filters and oil standing by but would welcome advice on how to go about it.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Sometimes the water gets in as you break the cylinder head seal...

Best way to do it (and probably the messiest) is to take the sump off and wash everything with paraffin. Even better use a paraffin gun with a compressor and clean out oilways and galleries too. The majority of the paraffin will drain off and any that is left will come out with the first oil change. A cement mixing tray makes a really good "drip" tray for this job ! Fill it with an oil absorbent material (cat litter is good, sawdust is OK too) and it's easy to clean up without any mess on the drive/garage floor.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

You can by an additive off the shelf to soap cleanse the engine. You add it to the oil.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:46:52 +0000 (UTC), Dave White enlightened us thusly:

Always, IME. Yer supposed to drain the block, through the plugs provided. I suspect mine even has taps, but then it's from an era when you used to drain the coolant when it was freezing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There's buggarawl on mine - my older V8 had a tap either side (looks just like the ones you get on old Fordson tractors) but this one has zip - lowest point to drain seems to be the bottom radiator hose (why is there no drain plug in the rad? Likely cos it's be inacessible?) which I've pulled off - I think that the water pools in the head itself looking at the way it's cast and the fact that I have to work on a sloping drive with the car facing downwards.

Looking at the gasket in the light of day it is possible to see that it has, in fact, failed between the waterway at the front of the block and also in between cylinders 2 and 4 - that would explain the lumpy running amidst clouds of steam :-). New gasket is in there - just need about ten hours to screw all the EFi gubbins back on the top of the engine

Graeme

Austin Shackles.

my opinions are just that

0123456789112345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712345
Reply to
Graeme

On or around Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:56:32 -0000, "Graeme" enlightened us thusly:

mine has 2 taps. are the drillings still in the block even on later ones, but with plugs in?

middle 2 pots seems a popular spot for them to fail, that and blowing into the valley.

Reply to
Austin Shackles