weird lights/flasher/horn thing going on

hi, i have a small electrical problem in my 1995 defender 90. i noticed the flasher was getting a bit inconsistent and a few days ago it stopped working altogether. now the horn has also gone so i need to do something about it.

the side lights work fine, main lights are fine, and the full beams work but only via the 'on' notch, not via the flasher. indicators are also fine.

i took off the steering wheel and the steering nacell and took a look at all the connections. i pulled out a few of them and checked for dust and grit but they all seemed fine. the metal contacts for the flasher mechanism also seem to be touching fine, i cleaned them off anyway. one thing i noticed was that a very tiny spark (like really tiny) appears between the metal contacts at the full beam 'on' notch, when the main lights are on and when i put on full beams. if the main lights are off (or just side-lights) then there is no spark when i put on full beams, but then the full beams don't work anyway unless the main lights are fully on. does that make sense? hope i have explained it ok. at first i thought it would need a new switch but since all the lights actually work, i don't want to go out and get one if it's something else.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks tim

Reply to
Tim_Mac

"Tim_Mac" wrote

Check your fuses and fuse carrier, I had similar funny electrical malfunctions on my 1986 90 despite the fuses being OK, and it was just the fuses not making good connections in the carrier. Fine sand paper, the merest touch of Vaseline, and a tightening of the clips did the trick.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I had trouble with the flasher being inconsistant in my car and it was all down to a dodgy earth. Refitting the flasher relay bracket nice and tight was all it needed in my case.

Reply to
Tom Woods

bob and tom, thanks for the replies, this is great advice. i will give it another go tomorrow and post my findings.

cheers tim

Reply to
Tim_Mac

it was just a blown fuse.... how embarassing. i didn't think the full beam flasher would need a fuse for it's on/off mechanism, specially seeing as the full beams were working, but there you go. my honker works now too. at least now i know what a blown fuse looks like. thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Tim_Mac