Which Gearbox

Okay, I promised to make the next posting Land Rover related - so here it is ...

Can anyone tell me which gearbox was fitted to late Series 2a's? Neither the owners handbook nor the workshop manual say which gearbox it is and I'm looking for a replacement.

If a S2a box can't be found at a reasonable price, what alternatives are there that don't require major surgery? Would a box out of a Stage

1 V8 fit, for example?

Any help gratefully received, as always :-)

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

It should be a series 2 gearbox - no synchro on 1st and 2nd. They're not bad to strip and rebuild - what's wrong with yours?

A series 3 gearbox (full synchro) will fit with minimal hassle. A stage

1 'box will not fit (without serious modifications) and you'd probably want to change the diffs too.
Reply to
EMB

The easy choice is between all-synchro and part-synchro. 2a should have part-synchro with the cluch slave cylinder on the right hand side (from drivers seat) The Later III box is all-synchro and has the clutch slave on the left hand side

No, the Stage1 v8 is a permanat four-wheel drive and is not really compatible with the series running gear, and certainly will not fit a

2.25. Your best bet is to look for either 2a or 3 box, as the 3 box can be made to fit onto a earlier 2a engine.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

There are also plenty of places that will rebuild them for you if youre not inclined to do it yourself.

S3 boxes are easy to get hold of and fairly cheap.

It is about 5 minutes work with an angle grinder to make a S3 box fit in a 2A. The only external difference is the location of the clutch, which on the S3 box is down on the opposite side of the box than the

2A, and hits the 2A chassis. You need to remove the small lip on the x-member under the gearbox (which isnt there on the S3 chassis) You might have to extend your clutch pipe too.
Reply to
Tom Woods

SG: Synchro has completely gone on mine. I can change without too much crunching and grinding by double declutching both up and down the box but that's a PITA :-)

SG: Glad I didn't buy the Stage1 box then. Guess I'll look for a S3 box instead.

Advice much appreciated.

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

SG: I'm a bit handy with the spanners, etc., and have rebuilt plenty of boxes in my time (30 years in the forces - regular and reserve).

SG: That sounds like the best choice. S3 box here we come ...

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Cheers Alex. The Stage 1 box can stay where it is and I'll look out for a S3 one instead. eBay here I come :-)

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Mother