1992 SC400

Hi,

I am looking into buying a 1992 SC400 for $6K Canadian. I drive a fair bit for work (approx 500km a week), and throughout the winter. The old owner is a friend and he recently put $10K, body and engine work.

Is this a good idea?

Reply to
Kevin Miller

The SC400 is worthless on ice and snow ... snow tires makes it barely tolerable and are MANDATORY. I would pass if you plan on a lot of severe winter condition driving ( the LS400 is NOT a whole lot better either ).

Reply to
Jerohm

Hi All,

My main concern at this point is reliablity - I don't want to be stuck at the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I think I am just being paranoid - I didn't have the same concerns when my Corolla had the same amount of clicks on it, that being said it was a newer vehicle. Below is a copy of an email that I recieved from the current owner (He is a close family friend, I have no doubt that what he is telling me is the truth).

Also, he mentions a short is the dash - anyone have any ideas of how much this might cost to fix?

Email: The car used to belong to my niece. I did a complete body job including refurbishing the interior. It has a 12 CD player but there is a short in the dash with the radio and I haven't repaired it as of yet. There is aprox. 185,000 Km. All new high performance tires, new brakes from the rotars out - service on timing chain, service on steering rack. I spent $2500 on the air conditioning alone.

The car was completely diagnosed from top to bottom before I did the work. What needed to be done was completed. It is a 1992 Lexus SC 400. It is an

8 cylinder and uses premium gas. In the two and a half years that I have owned it I have only put 10,000 km on it

Thanks for your thoughts

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Very unlikely a '92 SC400 will ever leave you on the side of the road. Engine, transmission, rear end and basic electrical systems seem bulletproof. I have 190K miles on mine, and it has never let me down in 15 years.

Most other posts on the cars basic reliability are excellent.

XPlant

Reply to
Xplant

I wholeheartedly agree ... reliability IS excellent. They CAN be expensive to fix when things go wrong ... which isn't all that often... but I might get a second mechanics opinion just to be safe - cheap insurance. I own a

90 LS400 with well over 200K.
Reply to
Jerohm

6k for a vehicle that someone put 10k into, sounds like a steel to me. Why would some do this frind or not. Take this deal before your friend awakes out of his haze. Also buy him a great christmas present this year....
Reply to
billyzoom

You, my friend, are either very young, naive, or the seller of the car...

Reply to
Jerohm

I've borrowed the car from him - drove about 325 km's today.

During the drive the front passangers side carpet got wet with water (presumably)... any thoughts on what this might be, and what it would take to fix it?

Also, on the audio system, i tried replacing the fuse on it, and it burns out as soon as i put it in... any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Reply to
Kevin Miller

The air conditioning condensation tube outlet exits the auto behind the rear of the FRONT passenger wheel well (you should be able to see it and a puddle should form after using the AC and parking the car). If that is clogged, it backs up into the car on the passenger side. I can tell you WANT to have a reason to buy the car, but to be honest, you have to question WHY anyone would sink a ton of money into a car, only to sell it at a loss ... I can only think of one answer ... that is that EVEN more money is required to make it acceptable. If you are very mechanically inclined and plan to do the (some?) maintenance yourself, it may be worth it ... otherwise pass. I have known just TOO MANY used car nightmares ... they almost NEVER have a happy ending.

Reply to
Jerohm

"Kevin Miller" quipped:

..sounds like your a/c drain hose is clogged. No brainer and common. Take it to a local service station and they can put it up on a lift and unclog the drain hose. The hose is used to drain the condensation of water that your a/c produces. When it's working properly, it drains the water onto the ground underneath your car. It's the puddle of water you see under your car in the summertime after running your a/c. Many stations will do it for free and if the do charge you, it will be nominal. Usually a coat hanger poked up through the hose is all that's needed.

..this could be any number of things, but most likely, it's a short in the wiring. Either the hot wire is shorting out to ground or less likely, you have a poor ground. Also, make sure you have the right rating fuse. Never, ever go higher btw. It's there for a reason.

If you not electronically inclined, take it to a stereo installation shop and let them troubleshoot for you. Probably just charge you an hours labor.

Reply to
amstaffs

"Jerohm" quipped:

I would seriously doubt the OP is mechanically inclined if he doesn't even know about a condensation drain hose. IMHO of course.

Reply to
amstaffs

I was trying to drive home the point that it is easy to get in over your head when desire overtakes common sense. It happens with women ... it happens with cars ... neither with lasting satisfaction. ... well almost never!

Reply to
Jerohm

I don't think that I am getting in over my head - that's why I'm asking these questions, to get an undersanding of what i'd be getting myself into if i decide to purchase this vehcile. Deciding to or to not purchase it without adequate research would be a mistake.

Thanks.

Jerohm wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Just make sure your decision is made with both eyes open, and not clouded by some 'itch'... and I am sure you will be just fine.

Reply to
Jerohm

He is a wealthy dentist who got it a few years ago and never inteded to sell it. Since then he has got divorced, owns a couple of Beamers and a Land Cruiser. He is selling it because he doesnt need/want it...

billyzoom wrote:

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Reply to