1999 Lexus ES 300 for a DIY person.

How hard to maintain a 1999 Lexus ES 300 for a DIY weekend mechanic like myself? I have a 1995 Ford Escort (currently the timing belt has gone and working on fixing it myself) and my dads Lexus is for sale, its been maintained by the dealer and is at 59K.

He may be willing to cut some slack on the price for me, but the question is maintenance. Does it has Timing belt or timing chain? What is the next big ticketed scheduled maintenance for this ES 300?

Tks

Sam

Reply to
sams

Belt.

"Recommended" replacement is 90k for the V8 and I believe 60k for the V6.

60k service @ Lexus shops is semi-major, around $400 I recall. Major service is at 90k when the belt comes due. At that time change the belt, thermostat, water pump and if the serpentine tensioner, belt & hoses are original you might consider changing those too. Make sure you use only Toyota red coolant. Be sure to check anything else you can easily reach while you're torn down that far. i.e., you'll have the radiator out so a good time to backflush it.

Even if you're a good shadetree mechanic you'll want to pick up a c>How hard to maintain a 1999 Lexus ES 300 for a DIY weekend mechanic

Reply to
New Owner