Time for a new car?

Today, the odometer on my 92 Camry V-6 LE passed the goal I set for the car,

300,000 miles. At this point, the car owes me nothing. I'd try to push a bit further, but I was in a car accident a few months ago and repairs to the hood and front end would run me 1500 dollars, so I think it is time to move on. This is the best car I have ever owned, despite a few minor issues. The following is a list of complaints/issues/repairs I have made to the car over the years.

  1. Innumerable retractable antennae. Looks great but doesn't last when it has to go up and down several times a day. Motor still works though.

  2. Retractable seatbelt. The springs just wear out and don't retract. Not worth fixing, but Toyota seems to have problems with things that retracct (see number 1)

  1. 2 sets of oxygen sensors.

  2. Squeaky rear bushings. I just turned up the radio and drowned out the noise for 300k.

  1. Radio/Cassette deck. Reception was never great and the cassette died after approximately 8 years. This made complaint #4 more annoying.

  2. Driver side window regulator/motor. This died at approximately 160k miles. I live in NJ and would have to open and close the driver's window 6 times a day to pay tolls on the Garden State Parkway, so I can't blame Toyota.

  1. At 160K miles, the key wore down and got stuck in the ignition. About

300 dollars to have ignition lock changed.

  1. Starter motor needed replacement at 200K miles.

  2. Power steering pump seized at 200K.

10.Changed the timing belt at 120K miles. Still on the second belt and original water pump.

11.Knock sensor died at 160K miles. This was annoying and shouldn't have died. Repair and replacement was approximately 800 dollars, as I recall.

12.The original Dunlop D80 V4 lasted only 20K miles. The car ate a second pair of Dunlop SP4000. Overinflating the tires by approximately 2psi solved future problems as did changing to H rated Dunlops. Got 60K per set after making changes.

13.First set of front brake pads at 120K. Full set and rotors at 260 K miles. Needed new rear calipers at same time. My fault. I didn't change brake fluid for the first 7 years.

14.Annoying lights that died in radio/clock so I couldn't see what time it was or the radio station.

15.Dim headlights that never threw a good pattern. The plastic covers clouded with age/time exascerbating the problem.

16.Hood pressure struts at approximately 9 years.

  1. Car has original struts, engine mounts, exhaust, etc. AC works great. No leaks in cooling system. Everything else original.

I hate to part with the beast, but it is time for perhaps a new 95? Camry! Thoughts?

Reply to
David

Good long term report on your Camry! Anything with 300,000 miles will have a few things go wrong with it.. When you bought that car originally you really bought 2 cars or the life of 2 cars...Most american cars if they even made it to 150,000 would be ready for the scrapper...I hope to get 250,000+ out of my 1997..I have 175,000 so far with very few problems... Pick out a new or good used one and drive it 300,000 more!

Reply to
ROBMURR

Great report. I myself have a 92 V6 LE and haven't had as many probs as you, but I only have 100K miles on mine. Just to list my probs:

  1. Antenna didn't retract - Replaced with Honda S2000 antenna
  2. Seatbelt doesn't retract
  3. Squeaky rear bushings as well...bought an aftermarket rear anti-sway bar with polyurethane bushings. A quick fix for you is to put in some white lithium grease in there.
  4. Radio/cassette sucked, replaced with aftermarket Pioneer unit.
  5. Window goes down slow, but still ok.
  6. CV boots ripped, changed
  7. Suspension got soft, changed to H&R springs and KYB struts.
  8. Valve covers leak oil, ahh, not a big deal.

Everything else mechanical has been absolutely perfect. No engine, brake, steering or suspension probls...car runs amazing. Couldn't ask for a more reliable car than this. I really think they over engineered the 92 Camry.....

[...]

hlee

Re: "From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (David) .............11.Knock sensor died at 160 K miles.This was annoying and shouldn't have died.Repair and replacement was approx 800 dollars,as I recall "

--------------------------------------------------------------- I was wondering what the life expectancy of the knox sensor is .How can you test one? Anybody else have experience with this part? Most of the knock I get is cured by fixing the EGR system or de-carbon of the engine .But I always wonder if this thing is still working after all these years.

Reply to
Brian Orion

I noticed this message was posted on April 1, 2004, so perhaps this ia an April Fool joke? Otherwise please enlighten us on where you expect to find a "new" 1995 Camry in 2004 ???

Reply to
Dee

car,

Camry!

300K? That's just a puppy. It's coming into the backstretch. Why not keep it and try for 400K. I will on mine. Don't just say "It's time".
Reply to
William W. Plummer

Were it not for the 1500 dollars of front end damage, I'd keep the car and push on.

the

Reply to
David

Hi, How noisy is the "Squeaky rear bushings. I just turned up the radio and drowned out the noise for 300k." so that you had to turn up radio. Is it much more noisy when you go over a bump since I have a mysterious noise I am unable to pinpoint. Your response will be appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Just bondo it and push on to 1,000,000 miles ... at least ... then gift it to your kid.

Reply to
babono

How much does a nose cost at a junk yard?

message

not

Reply to
William W. Plummer

car,

the

move

car

it

Not

retracct

the

died

window 6

About

have

recall.

second

solved

after

change

it

great.

Camry!

Reply to
David

Memo to David:

Open trunk--take out the kids' balloons.

Now drive for another couple hundred thousand miles.

Mike Simple advice to the car owner and the lovelorn since 2004.

Reply to
Artfulcodger