Coolant leak

aal readers, I have a '92 400LS which has been intermittantly leaking coolant on my garage floor in Southern California. Every now and then I find maybe one-half cup of coolant on the floor after normal driving around town. Nothing unusual about the cars operation prior to finding the puddle. It doesn't drip otherwise. After the leak occurs I must add a small amount of coolant to restore the level in the reservoir. This only happen occasionally and I am curious if anyone else out there has experienced this situation. All responses are AIA. elmarsa snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com

Reply to
elmarsa

The expansion tank pressurizes as the engine gets up to operating temperature. If you look at the level after the care is at operating temperature, it will be all the way to the top! It is a fairly common problem for them to crack, especially at the level sensor opening. If this is the case, an leak should be visible after parking a hot car. I would also check that all the connections to the tank are intact. I had my tank replaced a couple of years ago (90 LS400 203K). @ about $175, installed. If they replace the sensor (shouldn't be necessary - even if it doesn't function anymore; if you do ANY routine care, you should be able to monitor the situation yourself!) add on about another $120.

Reply to
Jerohm

another common leak area is the heater control valve-is located in front of the firewall on pass side

Reply to
Cuzinga