Engine revs very low on startup after fuel injector cleaner

2000 Lexus ES 300. 80K miles. Added Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner.
Now my engine revs very low on startup. Sometimes stalls.
Never had this problem before.
What could have happened?

Is the Check Engine light on?
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

No. Also, car works normal (idle RPM) when the engine warms up.

Has anybody scanned the engine's computer with an OBD-II reader? It is unlikely that such a problem could occur these days without an obvious OBD- II report of some kind.
--
Tegger

Which of the following haven't you replaced as per the manual instructions: Air filter, Oil, Transmission fluid?
Not an accusation you understand, but first things first.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

All replaced at 60K miles. Oil changed every 3K miles.

Did you add the fuel injector cleaner to cure some kind of problem or did you add it as a preventative measure? In the future, do not routinely add fuel injector cleaner unless you are trying to address a specific symptom because over use can damage the injectors, fuel lines, seals, and idle air control valve.
Also, fuel injector cleaner must be used exactly according to the directions supplied with the cleaner. If you do not use up the fuel in the tank quickly enough, the stuff can damage injectors, fuel lines, seals, and the idle air control valve.
I suspect that the fuel injector cleaner loosened deposits on the idle air control valve and it does not move enough during warmup.
Try cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve with aerosol carburetor cleaner, being sure to wipe out the liquefied gunk. Spray the edge and inner surface of the throttle plate and the openings for the idle air bypass.
The engine will probably blow clouds of smoke the first time you start it after cleaning, but it should clear up after a minute or so.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Preventive. And was hoping to get better mpg (I get about 20 now)

OK. I wish Chevron would mention that on their product website.

Chevron doesn't mention that on their web site because they would sell less product.
If it was a good idea to routinely add fuel injector cleaner, automakers would put it on the list of maintenance items in the owner's manual and factory service manuals.
As a former factory rep, I can assure you that it is not necessary to routinely add fuel injector cleaner as a preventative measure. If anything the quality of fuel at the pumps seems to have improved over the years, reducing the need for fuel additives. The same goes for motor oil, transmission fluid, and coolant additives.
At this point, use up the any remaining fuel as quickly as possible, re-fill the tank to dilute what is left, and if that doesn't work, clean the throttle body and IAC valve.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:58:27 +0200, Dave U. Random wrote:

Techron is a regular additive in Chevron branded gasoline. I've added it to my '85 Corolla, my '88 Supra and my '89 Mazda with no problems.
The question I would ask is, did you add the right amount for the amount of gas in the tank? There are two size bottles, 1 for up to 12 gallons and one for up to 22 gallons. In this case, more is not better since I added the 22 gal additive and then put in 10 gallons, and had a similar problem to yours.
Add some 93 octane gas and you should be OK.

I used the one for 12-gallons, and filled up the gas tank with gas immediately.
The local auto parts store had a buy-one-get-one-free deal on it. I still have 1 unused bottle, which I probably will not use in my other car.
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:21:54 +0200, Dave U. Random wrote:

Interesting. I had (have) an '85 Corolla GTS that at about 130,000 miles started knocking when there was a load on the engine. I have always used 'quality' gas, brand name stuff, and it was suggested I use Techron. I zapped it with a bottle for 12 gals, filled with good gas, and then started using Chevron until they left New England. One bottle every 40-50 tankfulls and the car never knocked again!

I have never had problems with it either, no matter what concentration I used it. I personally think this is BS.
IIRC, Techron is not the type of chemical that would attack injectors, seals, etc.
Be sure you dont have wet fuel...I mean REALLY wet fuel. That still happens at times.
You may well have some injectors that are not working properly.

Indeed. When I was growing up I worked at gas stations at one point. One of the last things you did was coat the last 6" of the "dipstick" for the tanks and see if it found water. A few months back I saked the guy at the local self serve about it and he had no idea what I was talking about.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 02:43:10 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

Yeah, it was a kind of grease that would change color when there was water in the tank. (I think a lot of us pumped gas for a while...)

Yep, it was called Color Cut or maybe Kolor Kut.

Go ahead and dump it in the other car. I have used injector cleaner at recomended up to doubble rate and have never had a single adverse problem. It has helped many a idle and milage problem though. If a problem is there I recomend the single cleaner dose bottles and then once a month with the cheap crap there after. It is a good preventive program. KB

Site Timeline