ES - Change in Maintenance Schedule from 7,500 to 5,000 Miles

I just sold my 1997 ES300 and bought an ES330.

I noticed that the maintenance schedule was changed from an oil change every 7,500 miles to one every 5,000 miles. Anyone know why they changed it? Is there something different about the engine? Or does it have something to do with the problems Toyota had with people who didn't change their oil at all? Or is it just a tip of the hat from Lexus to their dealers to increase service revenues?

Reply to
David Z

I believe that the 97 schedule was 7.5K normal, 5K "severe service." Isn't it the same in the new one?

Most mechanics think that the majority of drivers, unless they do a lot of long-distance driving, probably meet the requirements of "severe service" and should use the 5K intervals. With a new car, I'd be sure meet the reqs in the owner's manual to make sure there are no questions if a warranty problem comes up. And the V6 in the ES has a history of sludge problems when oil change intervals are pushed to the limits.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Nope. The oil change schedule for the 2004 ES330 is every 5K. Period.

That's a new one on me. That means that the vast majority of drivers have just been recategorized from 7.5K to 5K intervals. At least to my understanding.

I agree. I definitely don't want to cause any uncertainty about the warranty. I also want to do the maintenance that the car needs to avoid mechanical problems later, but any not unnecessary maintenance.

Exactly. That's why I'm trying to figure out what "the limit" is. Not that I want to go just short of that limit, but I'd like to know what the parameters are.

My Lexus dealer charges about $120 for each of these 5K service calls. I think the oil change is about $55 of that amount. I know I can get it done cheaper elsewhere, but I prefer to have someone who works on Lexuses all day do the job rather than someone who sees a Lexus only once in a while.

Reply to
David Z

I hope you get your choice of blonde, brunette, or redhead in the waiting room.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Aren't you the funny one, Elmo. Actually, they pick up and deliver.

What does your Lexus dealer charge? And what selection do you get?

Reply to
David Z

Actually you get a choice of any beverage you would like, including espresso coffee, juice or bottled water, and a luxurious work area with internet connections, or a home theatre with a wide screen tuned to CNN. Anything else is your responsibility!

BTW - Don't overlook that the severe service interval is 5,000 miles or 4 months - whichever comes first. My wife puts so little mileage on her RX that we hit the 4 month limit before the 5,000 miles....the dealer just lectured her on that point.

Reply to
Stephen Clark

I generally ignor the time intervals.

Do you have the oil changed at 4 months even if you've only driven, say,

2,000 miles?

Yes, we don't want to cut into dealer revenue now, do we?

Reply to
David Z

Yes ... when that 2k miles is spread over 4 months of driving in lots of rain or sub freezing temperatures and an above average amount of time spent idling the engine.

Reply to
Philip®

I still don't buy it.

In fact, I just looked at the maintenance schedule on

and there's no mention of time intervals at all. Only odometer readings.

Reply to
David Z

The Infiniti dealer picks up and delivers, and doesn't charge $55 for an oil change.

The Lexus dealer? I don't use the Lexus dealer. I do use a favorite Honda dealer for the Honda, but only because their prices are reasonable. When the prices get unreasonable, I go somewhere else where they're reasonable.

At this point in its life, I take the Lexus to an independent garage where I know the people. Oil changes are still $25.

If you're paying $120 every 5k miles, you have more money than brains. Even the Donald Trumps of the world would scoff at paying that. (Hint: they have the money *because* they're smart enough to know that $120 every 5k miles is way, way too much money to spend on simple maintenance on a modern automobile.)

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And what do they charge?

Unfortunately, there's no reasonbly priced dealer that's nearby.

I've tried the local shops and didn't like the experience.

Given my options, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for the peace of mind that my investment is being treated properly. Also, I place a value on my time.

(Hint:

maintenance

You obviously haven't a clue how The Donald thinks.

Reply to
David Z

$35.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So do I. That's why I have a Honda. The Lexus came into my life quite unexpectedly. That being said, the independent shop owner has been around quite awhile and has proven to me and many others that he knows exactly what he's doing. It's an oil change, fer Chrissakes. As for my time, I value mine, too--that's why I use this guy. Drop in, get it done, leave. Not a huge issue.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The Lexus.com website clearly states the difference between the 5000 and

7500 mile service schedules.

This applies to all 2004 models, so cannot comment on previous years.

Reply to
Oldun

Um, and you do?

Rich people don't become that way by casually giving money away. They demand value for their dollar. $120 every 5K miles isn't value for the dollar. It's a Lexus; face it, Toyota is probably the most bulletproof car in the world, and the Lexus line is their top dog in all arenas, including being bulletproof.

Tell you what: let's each buy identical LS430s, brand new. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. 100K miles later, let's compare notes.

I have a good idea how things will come out.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Can you tell me where? What do they give for a reason?

Since there was no dramatic change in Lexus engines recently, AFAIK, it appears that the change in the recommended oil change schedule from 7.5K to 5K simply represents a change in Lexus policy rather than a mechanical change.

Reply to
David Z

You don't have to "buy" it. You're just reading arbitrary numbers without much understanding. For the most part, I go by the color of the oil and recent operation history. Mileage is only a maximum. Has served me very well for a lot of years.

Reply to
Philip®

AGREED. :-) $120 or $55 .... too much for an oil and filter change.

Reply to
Philip®

Whatever!

My question was about the 7.5K vs. 5K scheduling interval!

Reply to
David Z

- Mark

Reply to