2004 Toyota 4Runner Oil Change

O.K. I got through the tire pressure and maintenance light crisis.

Now, I'm faced with changing the oil. I'll really be red faced if the procedure is in the owner's manual. I did skim it before coming here.

Sorry if the questions sound dumb. I don't have a service manual; I can't find a Chilton's anywhere around here. I'm not sure if one is published for a 2004 and I don't know what prior years would be identical enough to be "good enough."

First question: Do I remove the skid plate (I'm thinking "yes")? If so, are there just four bolts holding it on or? Is there more to it than that (removing the four bolts)?

If I have to remove the skid plate, can someone guide me where the oil drain plug might be with respect to something I can find under the vehicle? I can probably find it, but a little nagivational aid would help speed the process and confirm that I'm in the right area. Offhand, wrench does it require to remove it?

I know these are really basic questions, but I haven't changed the fluid in a Toyota. I've only been servicing our two Taurus' the past six years and just got into a routine.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Allen

Reply to
Bill Allen, S.E.

ok - here goes............ A) Maintenance schedule calls for a change every 5000 miles. Depending on how and where you drive but this seems especially long to me. Especially the first one. I have a 2004 and changed mine at 3000 miles. if you drive reasonable, not off-roading, and not pulling a trailer - I guess the 5000 schedule is ok.

Yes, take of the plate. Note: this is really not a skid plate. It is a plastic shied thet helps aerodynamics and wind noise. But you correctly assumed that it needs to come off.

Drain plug is pretty obvious - if you have been changing oil the Fords

- it will be just as easy.

Reply to
Bill Little

Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Allen

Assuming your 04 is like my 05:

- you don't have to remove the skid plate, there's an access panel towards the right-rear of the plate. Remove the panel and there's adquete room to remvoe the plug and drain the oil straight down.

- the filter is exceptionally easy IMO, it's on the front left of the engine access on top, and has a nifty catch-cup with built-in drain. Easy access, easy cleanup, nice job Toyota.

Compared to the hassle my 99 4Runner was, with the horizontal filter and all, my 2005 is just about as easy as changing the oil on a lawnmower...

-pete

Reply to
Pete Grey

Talk about easy,

had a 69 Mustang with a 351-W, could spin the filter and remove the drainplug leaning over the engine with the hood up. Never had to crawl under that one. Of course that was light-years ago...

Reply to
Bob H