Garage door opener will not program LS 430

I have an LS 430 2001, that I cannot get to accept the programming code from the "learning Center" in the new Liftmaster Pro garage door opener. The new opener has a "rolling code." The Lexus manual describes the procedure for "rolling code devices" and I understand it well. Nonetheless, it will NOT program.

Is it possible the 2001 Lexus needs to be updated for the more recent "rolling code?"

How about a few opinions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Worse than denial, is denying you have been in denial

Reply to
William B.

I have a 98 GS400 and made notes how to program the opener unit when we first purchased it.

For Lift Master rolling code garage door openers:

Push desired button on Lexus then, put hand held opener withing 1" of Lexus and push and hold correct button on handheld. Lexus lite will go from slow to fast blink.

Then put Lexus under garage door receiver, hit red learn button for 1 sec. Push, on Lexus, desired button(same one as above) and hold,

Done

Reply to
Randy Kalal

Thanks for the input Randy. You are correct as to the procedure and this A.M. I just received precise Email instructions from HOMELINK as how to do it. I have posted it here for you and perhaps others:

Thank you for visiting our HomeLink website regarding the issue you are having with your garage door opener. Referenced below are the instructions to program a rolling code-equipped device to HomeLink. If at any time you have a question or would like to speak with someone, call the HomeLink customer service center at 1-800-355-3515 and an agent will be happy to help while you are on the phone. We are open: M-F 5am-7pm, Sat. 6am-5pm & Sun.

7am-5pm MST.

I understand you may or may have not done some of these procedures, but please follow them exactly as I have outlined them:

Please make sure that people and objects are out of the way of the moving door when programming to prevent potential harm or damage.

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or"accessory") position for programming and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being programmed to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency. Please use a ladder and do not stand on your vehicle during the programming steps for a rolling code opener.

Rolling Code Programming:

  1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds)or the display reads "Channels Cleared". Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

  1. Place the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

  2. Simultaneously, press and hold both your HomeLink button and your hand-held transmitter. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed. (If you reside in Canada, refer to the "NOTE" below.)

  1. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash or the display reads"Channel Trained", release both HomeLink & hand held transmitter buttons.

  2. Then go to your garage door opener motor head unit in the garage. Locate the "Program" or "Learn" button. Usually near the hanging antenna wire on your garage door opener motor head unit. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer, please see your garage door openers owners manual for the location of this programming button).

  1. Press and release the "Program" or "Learn" button once, like a door bell (1 second)(Do not hold this button down. Holding this button down for too long will erase all Remotes, Keypad and other HomeLink equipped vehicles). There is 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

  2. Then go to your vehicle and firmly press and hold your already programmed HomeLink button for three seconds and release. Do this procedure a second time and depending on the Brand of your garage door opener you may need to do this step a third time to complete the process.

The garage should now activate when the programmed HomeLink button is firmly pressed and released. If not, give us a call or refer to the "Troubleshooting Tips" noted below.

NOTE: If you reside in Canada, replace step three with the following:

Press and hold the desired HomeLink button and "cycle" the hand-held transmitter. To cycle: Press and release the hand-held transmitter button every two seconds until the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash(step four).

Troubleshooting Tips:

** Check the frequency of the garage door opener's hand-held transmitter (usually found on the back). HomeLink is compatible with radio-frequency devices operating between 288-399 Mhz.

** Put a brand new, store bought battery in the hand held transmitter. During the programming process (step three above) the battery's energy tends to drain (more so with an older battery). A new battery will increase the speed and accuracy in which the hand-held transmitter sends its signal to the HomeLink system.

** Retrain HomeLink holding the hand-held transmitter at different lengths and angles from the HomeLink button you are trying to program (during programming step three). Try 4-6 inches away at a different angle. Try all three HomeLink buttons.

** Confirm that the HomeLink button you are trying to program is in the "programming mode". Press and hold the desired button. The indicator light will be a slow blink when HomeLink is in the "programming" mode and can be programmed at any time.

Verifying HomeLink has picked up a rolling code signal:

** Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and turns solid, HomeLink has successfully picked up the rolling code signal. If necessary, proceed with steps 5-7 noted above to complete the rolling code programming.

If this does not work, please call our customer service center for further assistance at the number above. They will be able to troubleshoot further over the phone, while you are sitting in your vehicle in front of the garage.

Please contact us again if you have additional comments or questions.

Best Regards, Rick T. HomeLink Customer Service.

"William Chapman" 02/04/2006 06:46 PM To snipped-for-privacy@chamberlain.com, snipped-for-privacy@johnson-rauhoff.com cc Subject HomeLink Contact Us Message

This message was sent 02/04/2006 20:46:59.

---------------------------------------------------------------- Name: William Chapman

Reason for contacting HomeLink: Programming Issue

More specifically: Read programming instructions but unable to program

This person did not specify that they have read the owner's manual.

Vehicle Make/Model: Lexus LS-430

Vehicle Year: 2001

Garage Door Make/Model: Liftmaster 373LM

Garage Door Opener Age: < 1

Prefers to be contacted by email.

COMMENTS: I cannot get the 2001 (LEXUS) LS 430 to accept the "learning unit" on the new garage door opener by following the LEXUS "rolling code" instructions. Therefore the remote Liftmaster 373LM must be used instead of the LEXUS internal unit!! Very frustrating! Any suggestions as to how this NEW

315mhz unit can be made compatible with the LS 430??

Reply to
William B.