General maintenance and care

So, I finally got my RX 300 on the road. There is still some stuff I'm concerned about, but I'm taking it to a dealer to be looked at so the prior owner can fix whatever.

My biggest concern is keeping it running and looking nice. I wanted to add some stuff to it and I see that some things shouldn't be messed with, so I'm just doing cosmetic changes.

Anyway, what kinds of things beyond the regularly scheduled maintenances and oil changes and the like should I be concerned with? As it's a 99, should I have any mechanical stuff replaced and such? I really like this and definitely want to keep it for a while.

Thanks.

Reply to
Cerberus

Exterior:

Frequent car washes and waxing. Clay your vehicle 2x a year to remove the really sticky stuff. I use a cleaner wax most of the time. Use underbody washes to rid your car of salt grime after snowstorm.

Interior: Leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats. I do this once every 2 months. The driver seat cover, side near the door is prone to show wear (if not split). This is a known problem until the 2002/3 yr I think, is when they made a change to the design. I use Huskyliners to line up the front and they do a good job at protecting the carpet.

Engine: I use synthetic and try to change it every 5K. This engine maybe prone to sludging - a very heated topic. So every little bit you can do to change the oil more often or with better components, please do. I use either the Toyota filter or Mobil1, nothing else.

Transmission: Drain and fill it, I would recommend it, every 15K. I notice that my RX is smoother shifting after a drain and fill operation. I do not recommend flushing it because I can't be sure how clean their flushing machine is, and that may introduce contaminents into my transmission.

O2 sensor : Your car has 3 of them I think, and any one of them can go bad. Might run you couple hundred to fix. Nothing you can do to really prevent it.

Enjoy your car!

Reply to
mbuster