how accurate do you find the mpg indicator?

How accurate do you find that mpg indicator? Mine resets every time I put any amount of gas in the car. What mechanism or technology is being used to measure the consumption? The mileage seems good but i don't know if i trust it.

Reply to
Bartok

I've figured mine manually several times on my 2004 LS and compared the results with the indicator - It has been perfectly accurate every time.

I'm amazed. I figured it would be in the ballpark, but never thought it would be accurate every time. I can't imagine how they do it, but I'm now confident enough to rely on it. It's a great system (whatever it is).

"Bartok" wrote:

Reply to
njbok

The ECU knows just how much fuel is being metered into the engine, and how far the car has driven. Probably the biggest inaccuracy would be from tire diameter changing with wear or inflation.

Reply to
St. John Smythe