How long do CV joints last in Camrys?

Hi all,

My Camry is a 97 XLE, with a v6. Almost 100K miles now.

You might have read my thread from before: Strange, faint noise in Camry

I had the car checked out. One garage and the dealer said it was nothing to worry about. Probably just the tires. Wheel bearings were checked. They were fine.

I then took at 2000 mile trip. No problem.

But I still have this faint noise. I'm thinking that it might be the CVJs. How long do the CV joints last on the Camrys before needing replacement?

Thanks

Reply to
Roger Redford

How long is a piece of string?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

i just replaced one on my es300, with 120k. it was making a clicking noise when i turned. anyway, i am not a mechanic i just had some advise from a niebhor. i also had to buy/borrow an electric impact wrench. it only took a couple of hours and cost $30...

Reply to
LWG

It's extremely rare to have a CV joint go bad unless the boot is damaged in some way. As long as the grease stays in and the road dirt stays out, they usually last the life of the car.

That said, I have found some worn inner tripod joints that made sounds and vibrations that nearly defied my diagnostic abilities.

Reply to
Art Welling

They can make a variety of noises, but all have the same characteristic drumming sound when you are turning on a slight bend at speed or a louder separated cracking sound iff badly worn when doing a lock turn during a 3 point manouver.

Some cars can have CV problems even though the boots are intact ie Mitsubishis in Oz. Maybe due to the grease losing its lubricating ability.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I have 1990 Toyota Camry with 206K miles. It has original CV joints. CV boots failed at 160K miles. I bought new boots from TOYOTA and installed on original joints.

Reply to
mike

Or sustained heat or prolonged high speed use. Centrifugal force causes tears in CV boots too.

Reply to
Philip®

The "centrifugal" force on a boot isn't that much, considering the mass of the boot material, the diameter of the boot, and the fact that the wheel only turns ~1000RPM.

The real killer of boots is operating at large angles for extended periods. They also die faster in high-ozone environmnents and if they are cleaned with the wrong solvents. If you keep an eye on the boots and replace them when weeping cracks first become apparent the CVs will last a very long time.

Reply to
<Gmlyle