LS430 & Winter Driving?

I'm considering buying a 2001 LS430. I'd like to know how the LS430 drives in the winter. The weight balance of the car is very good (47/53) so there's a good amount of weight on the back (unlike many years ago with RWD cars). Plus the car has all sorts of stability control. And after putting some good winter tires on it, I don't think there should be any problem.. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. So we do get a fair bit of snow from time to time, but nothing like Buffalo bellow us here.. And NO, driving another car is not an option, I already have a Corolla 1994 as my beater car in replacement for my BMW 325i for the summer season...

Let me know what your experiences are with the LS430 with good winter tires.. Thanks..

------ John

Reply to
John

John,

I also live in Toronto and drive all over the GTA so I think I can help you with this question. If you get the LS430 with a set of decent winter tires, I do not see you having any issues with Toronto and the GTA driving. I would recommend getting a set of 4 Nokian WR tires

for winter and youshould be fine. I have a few friends who have the LS430 as well as theSC430 and they love these tires for the winter grip and quietness. I havebought my Nokian tires from an establishment called Steelcase Tires and Magsin the Markham area. Their prices are pretty good and their service isexcellent. Here is Steelcase's contact info: Steelcase Tires & Mags

187 Steelcase Road West Units 1 & 2 Markham, Ontario L3R 2R9 Phone: 905-479-8884

I deal with either Jim or Dave and they are very knowledgeable. If they are very busy, you can try contacting Nantucket Tire. Here is their contact info:

Nantucket Tires 'N' Mags Ltd.

300 Nantucket Blvd. Unit1 Scarborough, Ontario M1P 2P4 Phone: 416-288-9399
Reply to
Car Guy

John,

I live in New Hampshire.

I got my '03 LS430 in January, so the original tires were brand new for the first winter, and I used them.

The car handled ok, but not great with the new tires. Actually I had to use the Lexus Link system once because I got stuck 1/2 out of my garage (how embarassing!). The driveway was a sheet of ice and the car lost traction and started drifting toward hitting the side of the garage, so I stopped and pushed the button.

For the coming winter I just purchased a set of Nokian WR tires. They're slightly (VERY slightly) louder, but I expect they'll help a great deal this winter. I'm also going to keep the driveway WELL salted.

My previous car was a '99 LS400. Snow tires on that car made a huge difference in traction in the snow, and were much better than the new original tires on my current LS430. It was almost as good as my previous FWD car.

I'd still like to see an AWD versi>I'm considering buying a 2001 LS430. I'd like to know how the LS430 drives

Reply to
Helmar Herman

I drive a 2001 LS 430 in Kansas, where typical winter storms leave a layer of ice topped by a couple of inches of snow. The car has been superb on slick roads, better than I ever expected. The only thing I've ever driven that approached the LS's sure-footedness on icy reads was a

1967 VW Bug.

-- Pete

John wrote:

Reply to
Pete

Pete,

You didn't mention whether you used normal tires or snow tires. That would be good information.

Helmar Herman

Reply to
Helmar Herman

With Real Winter Tires it will be fine. Just don't get the all weather type tires.

Reply to
DonB

Good info! I'm prolly going to be using Michelin Artic Alpine for the first two seasons, because that's what's on my wife's Cadi STS. I'm looking to replace that this spring, with something more reliable.. So, I figured I would go from one extreme to another.. Meaning, the 1997 Cadi STS being the MOST unreliable car, to the worlds most reliable car LS430.. You can't imagine all the problems I've had with the Cadi.. I'll never buy another American car again..! But, I'll definitely check into the Nokian tires, since I'll be needing some for my 1994 Corolla this winter. Thanks..!

Reply to
John

I also just bot an '03 LS430 and installed the Nokian WR tires...in fact I recommended them to "Helmar Herman". I don't notice any noise, however, as Helmar does, but, frankly, I am not "picky" about stuff like that. I just want a car that will GO. No snow yet here in hilly, wintery, Pittsburgh, but I'll report in as soon as we get some on how well the LS430 with Nokian WR tires goes.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

There's only one problem with the Nokian WR tires.. They aren't winter tires.. They are all season tires.. I'm sure they might be better winter tires then the regular all season tires you buy from other people, but I'm sure the Nokian Winter Tire Line-up is far better then the regular all season tire..

John

Reply to
John

Now then, the Pittsburgh hills, read that, cliffs, will really test a car's traction! BTDT

Reply to
noyap

I agree. Nevertheless, I think that WR tires are a good compromise if you don't want the hassle and expense of breaking down rims twice a year or buying and mounting/dismounting "clone" wheel/winter tire combinations. And they keep the roads pretty decent around here and we only had 1 bad winter out of the last 10. And we'll share my wife's Mountaineer (Explorer) if it's REAL bad.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

John,

Reply to
Car Guy

Oops - pardon me. She rides on the original Dunlop Sport 270's. These are a general-purpose tire but out of repect to our weather a bit less of a highway tire than the LS gets in other markets.

-- Pete

Helmar Herman wrote:

Reply to
Pete