winter tires for Yaris 2007

I have 3 available choices so far in 14" tires,

GoodYear Nordic Yokohama IceGuard Michelin X-Ice

The Nordic is $30 less expensive. The others are about the same price. Sure I could go for the more expensive one but...

Is the Nordic enough for this car? Anyone with some experience with winter tires on a Yaris?

Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Sam

I don't have experience with them but an excellent source of reviews for tires is:

You don't have to buy from them but I've also purchased a set of 4 tires before. Very happy with the service and price!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Just get Nokian WR and be done with it. Absolutely fantastic tires. Check them out.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It depends on where you live as well as where you'll have to drive.

We have a set of those GoodYear Nordic sold at Canadian Tire on a Hyundai Elantra and I'll never buy another set. The car pulls slightly to the right and they definitely are not as good on ice or on dry pavement as the Toyo Observe GO2 + installed on the Corolla.

A winter tire review published on October 2006 rated the following tires in this order:

  1. Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI
  2. Gislaved NordFrost 3
  3. Yokohama Ice Guard IG 10
  4. Toyo Observe GO2 +
  5. Michelin X-Ice
  6. Dunlop Graspic DS2
  7. Pirelli Winter Carving
  8. Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice (probably better quality than the Nordic)
  9. Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1
  10. Hankook W-404
  11. Continental ContiWinterContact TS810
  12. Kelly Snowtrakker ST-2
  13. GT Radial Champiro GT65

All tires were tested >

Reply to
Ghislain

Look interesting! I'm gonna check if there is any reseller nearby,

thanks! Tom

Reply to
Tom Sam

could go for the more

Up here in the land of ice and snow, Edmonton, Alberta, hardly anyone changes to snow tires come late fall. We mostly use all-season radials and carry a shovel and carpet strips for emergency dig outs.

Reply to
sharx35

On a my previous Corolla, I once changed my almost new all-season tires for winter tires late in fall, streets were already snowy and icy. When I drove out from service, the difference in road handling was obvious. I remember trying to start off from a particular street corner with the all-season, lots of spinning. With the winter ones, almost no spinning, the car gradually took speed.

Regards! Tom

Reply to
Tom Sam

I could go for the more

to snow tires come late

for emergency dig outs.

winter tires late in fall,

difference in road handling was

the all-season, lots of

That USED to be a problem with rear-wheel drive, unless one put about 200 lbs of weight into the trunk. With FWD, and all that engine weight over the drive wheels, seldom a problem. If one does much rural driving or has to deal with suburban, back-road hills that aren't regularly ploughed or sanded, yeah, they could be need for snow tires. However, in 43 years of driving in Alberta, Canada, I have NEVER put on snow tires. Yeah, I've had to shovel every couple of years but have saved THOUSANDS in tire and labour costs.

Reply to
sharx35

I could say that's economically & ecologically interesting. The point is well taken!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Sam

I could go for the more

to snow tires come late

for emergency dig outs.

winter tires late in fall,

difference in road handling was

the all-season, lots of

No question, there IS some improvement. However, I find simply by adjusting my driving habits I've saved thousands of dollars by NOT buying snow tires. Similarly, it is stupid to have small deductibles in insurance policies. Far cheaper to run a $1000 deductible on your house and car policies. If you budget properly, having to pay that $1000 on rare occasions is no big deal. In the meantime you save thousands in insurance premiums.

Reply to
sharx35