Winter Driving and Bad Traction on the 2002 Camry LE?

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Camry LE equipped with ABS, but have some reservations about the car's traction on snow and ice.

I've read a lot of reviews (though mostly Americans ones) on the 2002, and many owners are complaining about the car's wretched handling on snow and ice. Given that I live in Canada, land of snow and ice, you can imagine my concern. I currently own a 1999 model with ABS and I've never felt afraid to drive in the winter. I'm hoping the 2002 isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Can anyone tell me how their Camry handles in the winter? Also, could it be that Canadian-made Toyotas are built specifically for Canada's tough winter driving conditions?

Thanks,

Ellie

I would say the "handling" is very subjective and for a bad driver every car is a dangerous one with "bad handling"... I seriously doubt toyota made any significant changes to the body or suspension between 1999 and 2002, or for USA/Canada markets. You are satisfied with 1999 than you should be happy with 2002. If you drive a lot in snow/ice just get nice set of winter tires - thats all.

Reply to
Pszemol

Snow issues are tires not the car even Michelins go hard and slippery after 4- 5 years, get new tires.

Reply to
m Ransley

I found it pretty abysmal in even light snow. But I will caution that is with the stock OEM Bridgestone Potenzas. Haven't had a chance to try my new tires out yet, since we seldom see snow or ice.

Still I don't find this vehicle as solid feeling on handling as I would like, even in good weather. My climate is fairly mild, so no real problem, but if there is a lick of doubt regarding safety, I'd err on the side of safe....

Reply to
timbirr

I own a 2003 Camry which came with the Potenzas and during the first snow of the season (Spokane, Wa.) I was holding on for my life at the first stop. I drove the car to the nearest tire shop and had them siped. What a difference. The car handled much better and I got about 25000 miles on the tires. Would not recommend those tires to anyone I know. Aloha, BC

Reply to
Bob

I live and drive in the snow belt north of Toronto. My 03 Camry with snow tires will go anywhere. The all-season original equipment tires are great in summer, but useless in snow. Spend a buck or two and get snow tires. You'll be glad you did. Incidentally, Camrys for the Canadian market are made in either Ohio or Japan. For our weather, they do get a heavy duty battery...

Reply to
MJS

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've already picked out a good winter tires for the car, since the salesman came right out and told me that I'd be lucky to get through the winter alive with the factory tires on.

I'm also going to double-check where the car was made, as I hear that American-built 2002 Camry's are prone to quite a few problems (rattles, crappy transmission, a/c leaks, etc). Of course, such complaints are misleading because most people don't seek out discussion groups when their cars are running fine. So I probably have nothing to worry about.

Still, I miss my 1999 Camry already...

Reply to
Ellie

nice sale pitch - he is an expert :-)

You have nothing to worry about...

What is wrong with your 03 if you miss old 99 ?

Reply to
Pszemol