My initial reaction

My wife loves the car(SUV?), but my first interstate drive of any distance revealed significant wind noise that seems to come from the junction of the windshield with body. Also, when flooring the RX330 to smoothly merge into fast moving traffic, the tranny balked like nothing I have ever experienced before downshifting into far too low a range?!? Guess I should have manually shifted it down a notch?!?

Compared to my Honda Accord EX V6 tranny, the Lexus is a barking dog!! JJS

Reply to
Corky

The RX300 was noisier than the Accord. One's an SUV, the other a sedan. Go figure!

Lexus' seem to have a trait of responding gradually to any flooring. Euphemistically called a refined response.

Reply to
Totaltully

The RX330 is a crude beast in terms of engine and transmission. And that's coming from someone who traded a Yukon XL in for one (me). The Yukon power train was much more refined.

Maybe the RX350 will be better.

Hard to imagine it being worse.

Lexus let one out of the kennel in this regard.

Reply to
GRL

On 30 Jan 2006 19:28:57 -0800, "Totaltully" graced this newsgroup with:

I have absolutely no problem getting my LS430 to get up and go.

Reply to
kegler

The ES series, starting in 2002, is the same way. They sacrificed response in an attempt to reduce emmissions and increase mpg. Turned out to be a very poor decision, at least from the driver's perspective.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

They have a fix for this. And it works.

Reply to
JL

I assume you mean a fix for the wind noise, because every "fix" they've provided for the tranny behavior has not worked on my 2002 ES300. I would expect that the behavior is the same across all models, Lexus just doesn't have the calibre of engineers to produce an electronic ECU that works in all situations. At delivery, my ES had a major lag at highway speed but worked fine in all other ranges. The next version improved the highway speed issue but screwed the thing up at slow speeds, such as a rolling stop followed by acceleration. The third "fix" seemed to help but it went back to its old ways once the computer "learned" my driving habits. In my opinion, the only true fix would be to disable the adaptive learning logic and let it respond to the driver's direct input, not some blended response based on what the driver did in the past. Adaptive learning in the ECU seems like a real screwed up concept to me.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Hahaaa (bitter laugh of an bitter Lexus owner), serves you right. By now, everyone should know about the Lexus tranny issue in the ES series and engines (and yes, the RX has the ES engine). For the helpful chap who said he had no problems with the LS, that's because the LS has a different trannsmission. Spread it far and wide. Lexus RX and ES series are deeply flawed.

Reply to
Mack