Nokian Tires

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience with Nokian tires? Particularly on an ES300?

We bought a used ES300 with new Nokians. I've never been entirely happy with the noise level or handling of the car. It is a bit "nervous" at highway speeds compared to the '93 Camry SE that preceded it and my Integra. This might just be the difference between soft and sport suspensions.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

Hey Gary! If it were my car I would ask a dealer about the "nervous" feel on the road at speed. Could be the different handling, or it could be he tires. You don't want to end up at the bottom of the lake in a twitching car - er - in a nervous wreck. And when you replace the tires, go with the Michelins. They are the best all around.

Reply to
mcbrue

2.5 years ago I put Nokian WRs onto my 94 ES.

Best purchase I could have made. I love those tires. GREAT in the nasty stuff, quiet and effective in the summer.

I have 35K on them, still going strong. I'll put them on everything I own.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I have been using Nokian WR's on my LS400 for about 3 years out here in Southern CT to avoid messing with Winter changeover. I feel the noise level is a little greater than a touring tire, but certainly have no complaints with handling. I am not an aggressive driver, but pretty much maintain 75 mph on the highway. I had 4 wheel alignment when installing them and they have been wearing very evenly. They seem to wear a little fast, but I expect I can get ~50-60K mi on them and it sure beats keeping Winter/Summer sets. I keep them inflated at 42lbs front / 40lbs back which is a bit MORE than reccomended. For MY money/situation, I would buy them again.

Reply to
Jerohm

Most of the Nokian models are directional tires. What model do you have (and what is the climate like where you live, as Nokian has summer/winter/4-season models), and are the tires rotating in the correct direction?

As for the "nervous" feeling, it could also be an alignment issue, besides your thought about tires and suspension feel. (For example, some Prius owners comment about a "twitchy"/light steering, and an alignment from one end of the allowed spec. to the other end usually clears it up nicely, along with a bit of driver retraining (don't over- correct the steering, grip the steering wheel more lightly).)

Reply to
mrv

I had Nokians on my LS430 here in Pittsburgh. They literally burned up in one season. Balder than Kojak.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

What model of Nokian tire?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I think it was the "WR" tire if I am not mistaken.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer