Opions on 2004 Saturn Vue

i am currently looking at a 04 Vue AWD with 56000 kms are there any know problems with this model

Reply to
Your name

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 03:59:56 +0000, a rock fell the sky, hitting Your name on the head, and inspiring the following:

That highly depends on how many miles are on the car. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign
56000 km's = approx 30000 miles :-)

PerfectReign wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Reply to
Your name

V6 or 4cyl? Make sure that the Rollover Campaign fix was done for it. If its a dealer you are buying from get a Carfax from them.

Reply to
marx404

"marx404" wrote in news:naSdnSOUBv_W82nYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

V6 AWD

Reply to
Your name

The timing "belt" and water pump should be changed on the 3.5 every 60k miles reguardless of what the owners manual claims. I've seen belts fail around 60k and the water pump on a Honda V6 will leak right onto the belt and take it out in nearly no time at all. So keeping an eye on the overflow bottle is more crucial. Most of these problems can be prevented if people spent more time checking their cars like they should. Last time I checked no one was welding the hoods shut...

Reply to
BläBlä

From Consumer Reports:

REPORT CARD

Highs: Access, fuel economy. Lows: Acceleration, agility, seat comfort, fit and finish, FWD only, no ESC.

"Saturn's small SUV has secure handling, but the steering is too light at low speeds. We found the AWD system slow to respond. The available 3.5-liter engine from Honda is smooth. Interior fit and finish is subpar, and the seats lack support. The IIHS side-crash-test result was poor and the Vue tipped up in the government rollover test. The Green Line hybrid has a noisy

2.4-liter four-cylinder mated to an electric motor. The engine shuts off at idle but the electric motor alone can't propel the Vue. It got 24 mpg overall in our tests, and is only available with FWD. Reliability of the nonhybrid has been average of late. A redesign arrives for 2008"

Road Test

"General Motors' first mass-market hybrid is a disappointment. Fuel consumption is not impressive for a hybrid, and ungainly handling, uncomfortable seats, below-par craftsmanship, and the lack of stability control also detract from it.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

At low speeds, the ride is compliant, but road impacts often jolt the cabin. Road- and wind-noise levels are high, and the engine roars unpleasantly when pushed. Handling is clumsy, with slow, imprecise steering, pronounced body lean, and abundant tire squeal. The 43-foot turning circle is wide. Tire grip is weak in emergency handling, and the lack of stability control allowed the rear to slide out at a low speed in our avoidance maneuver. The Green Line is a very mild hybrid, which cannot move solely on electric power. At stops, it shuts the engine down and restarts it smoothly. The 170 hp, 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine is not particularly responsive and delivers tepid acceleration, even with the hybrid's electric assist. The hybrid Green Line comes with only a four-speed automatic transmission, which is not as responsive or versatile as those on most small SUVs. The front-wheel-drive Green Line gets 24 mpg overall, only 1 mpg better than the AWD four-cylinder Toyota RAV4. Stopping distances were long, especially on wet pavement. Low beams provide only fair illumination, though high beams give good light.

INSIDE THE CABIN

The Vue's interior is slightly improved over past models, but it still feels insubstantial and poorly finished. Some plastic panels are now nicely padded and grained. But lots of trim has sharp edges, and the fuzzy headliner looks cheap. Tall drivers had plenty of leg and head room, but the wide console intrudes on knee room. The tilt steering wheel doesn't telescope, but its position suited most drivers. Visibility is very good. The small, flat front seats are uncomfortable. The squishy cushions mean that support gives way on long trips, and the cushions are short. The rear seat's cushion is very low and provides no thigh support for adults. Access is very easy to the front and rear, though the weak door checks won't hold the doors open. Chrome gauge-trim rings can cause glare. A green "eco" light glows whenever the Vue is exceeding its EPA mileage estimates. There is no calculated fuel-economy display, an odd omission for a hybrid. Most controls are simple, including the easy-to-use radio, but the console-mounted window switches are inconvenient. Interior storage is moderate. There is no room for a spare tire because of the battery pack, but a tire inflator kit is stored under the cargo floor.

SAFETY NOTES

Curtain head-protection air bags, extending to protect outboard occupants in both rows in side impacts and rollover type incidents, are optional on the Vue Green Line. They supplement required front air bags and three-point seatbelts for all seats. The front seatbelts have adjustable upper anchors for getting an improved fit and are equipped with pretensioners to reduce belt slack in the event of a crash. Though children are always safest when transported in the rear seats, a passenger sensing system for the front passenger seat is designed to turn off the front air bags if the seat is unoccupied or if it detects an infant or small child seated there. Comfort guides in the rear outboard seats may prove helpful in providing a safer and more comfortable fit for small adults or children who have outgrown child restraints. There are adjustable, locking head restraints in the front and rear outboard seats. The front versions are tall enough even when lowered to reduce rearward head travel and reduce whiplash injury, but the rear versions must be raised to offer protection. The center rear seats lack a head restraint. Daytime running lights are standard. Driving with kids: The large locking latch plate in the center rear position of the Vue may interfere with the belt path on some rear-facing seats, preventing that belt from being pulled securely enough to keep the child restraint tight. Some rear-facing infant seat models may also not be secure in the outboard rear seats when installed with the seatbelts as the belts are anchored forward of the seatback. Front-facing seats should prove secure. There are three top tether anchors on the rear seatbacks. There are also three sets of visible and easy-to-access LATCH anchors.

RELIABILITY

We do not have data to predict reliability, this model is new."

So that sums up what CR had to say. I wouldn't base my decision soley on their opinion, they slagged the SL2 after the first model year, yet I'm still driving my '96 SL2 and I'm still happy with it.

Random Owner Opinions from CR. (Most owners give it 4 or 5 stars out of 5.)

"Pros: Redline has ample power and hugs the road. All that and good gas mileage. Cons: Drum rear breaks

Driving experience I found the Saturn folks to be very helpful and overall a good buying experience. They may not haggle, but the do give you a fair price for a trade-in. Better than the original dealer that sold me a bill of goods years ago.

Comfort & convenience I am a big fellow and found the Vue to be very roomy with comfortable leather seats. The OnStar is great with hands free telephone (should be a Federal Law 0n CellPhone use while driving. Overall it is well layed out so you can concentrate on driving.

Comments The 2007 will be the last of the Original Vues and perhaps the best of Honda and US engineering. No more flexing side panels, you will be back to door chips and dents with the 2008. The Vue was a unique SUV in many ways and Saturn was the only one in the GM group making money, that is why Pontiac and Chevrolet used the Vue chassis as a stop gap in their slide down."

Pros: Great gas mileage...better than advertised Cons: none as of yet

Driving experience We've had significant snow in the past few weeks. This is my first AWD vehicle. It handles great in the snow! It also handles better on ice than any other vehicle I've owned. The ride is smooth on most of the roads I normally drive. One highway has drainage grooves that run parallel to the shoulders. The groove on the stock tires cause some pulling when on this grooved pavement. This has always been a problem with new tires with this style tread. I don't consider it a negative because a different tire tread will reduce the problem.

Comfort & convenience Wonderful comfort and storage!! In the back, there is a compartment that can be opened up for grocery bags and it keeps them from tipping over. All the controls are very convenient. Even the emergency flasher button is located in a very sensible place. All my previous vehicles had that on the steering column. The leg room works well for me. The front seats are heated and that's been wonderful with our recent weather. The console has plenty of storage. There are all kinds of storage places elsewhere as well.

Comments I have wanted a Saturn Vue since they first came out. I was originally attracted to how they looked. Once I decided to get serious about getting a new car, I did research on the Vue and other vehicles. I did my best to keep an open mind. In the end, the Vue met all my requirements in style and safety. The test drive really cemented the deal for me. I was impressed with how it handled (at that time on dry roads on a warm day). I have driven it in various weather conditions and have not been disappointed. When I replace the tires with a different tread in a couple of years, I don't anticipate having trouble with the one grooved road I have to travel a few times a month. The dealer was great and continues to be supportive in many ways. They occasionally offer "new Saturn owner" sessions. The next one to occur in warm weather will be the one I attend. At those sessions, you get a full tour of the service area and have the opportunity to meet the technicians.

Pros: Drive Train, ride, sound system Cons: road noise @ 70

Driving experience The drive train is solid, quiet and adequately powerful. Rides and handles well for what it is.

Comfort & convenience Comfortable and functional. Could use a few more cupholders and better in cabin storage.

Comments I like it very much so far and it meets the needs we have at this time. Could use some refinement which I imagine will come with the re-design for 2008.

Pros: size power visibility Cons: wind and road noise at 70 mph

Driving experience handling, ride, its a suv.... it keeps me buisy driving....

Comfort & convenience heated seats are great...everythings close at hand

Comments its a ten... i am leasing an 07 to replace my 05 2years and never a dealer visit....except oil change..tire rotation...best dealer experince ever

"Your name" wrote in message news:MgKIh.9005$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Reply to
Box134