Ping: to RayO

Dear Ray,

I value your opinions and advice in this news group. Any thoughts on this?

"I will take delivery of an ES350 in about two weeks. While at the dealer, I received a "preview" of some of the products they will offer when I take delivery.

The first one is a glass treatment known as "Diamon-Fusion" (

)which protects windshields from chips and cracks and also allows water to run off instantly.

The other is "Scotchgard Paint Protection Film" (

). This is a high-grade urethane film that is applied to the front bumper, mirror backs, and the front half of the hood to reduce paint chips and bug damage.

I would welcome comments and insights about these products pro or con. Are they worth the extra cost?"

Thanks. // Alan

Reply to
AlanW

RainX does the same thing, for rain/dirt, and can be purchased / applied by anyone about $2 a bottle this side of the pond - it works, drive in rain without using the wypers, as used by airforce

Reply to
old man

I would pass on the Diamon-Fusion unless the dealer is applying it for free. The fact that something is patented does not mean that it is effective or a good investment.

Toyota used to install a very similar film in areas that were vulnerable to sandblasting, and it was very effective. It is basically a transparent decal. A seam where the film ends will probably become visible, and you may or may not like how the hood looks with the seam. I would ask to see how it looks when installed on another car. As far as whether the film is worth it or not depends on the cost. I might pay $100 for it on my car; I would definitely not pay $300 for it. My guess is that the dealer will want $500 for it.

I would pass on any chemical "treatments," "coatings," "paint hardener," etc for the rest of the car's paint and for the upholstery. That stuff is basically wax and Scotchguard.

Enjoy your new ride!

Reply to
Ray O

Ray and others who responded to my posts,,

Thanks very much. Your insights were very helpful.

Reply to
AlanW

You are very welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

I have the film on my car, and it was WELL worth the expense for me, considering my commute is all interstate. Without the film, I'd be doing paint touchups just about every day. As far as price, I paid around $500 for the front bumper, hood, headlights, side mirrors, and rear bumper. On my headlights, the installer used a thicker material by X-Pel that absolutely prevents lens breakage from anything short of a direct hit by a boulder. He also used LLumar product instead of 3m. I dealt directly with an authorized film installer instead of purchasing through a dealership. From what I understand, the dealerships would charge like $1000 for the same thing. I read Ray's post about not wanting to pay $300 for it, but here's how I justified my expense. An unsightly black front-end bra, which damages the paint over time and is maintenance-intensive, especially after it rains, was something like $200 or $250. To me, the extra couple of hundred bucks is well worth paying. It is a completely maintenance and worry-free solution, and I strongly recommend it. Just do some research in your area first to find a qualified installer, and you could price- compare against the dealership's pricing. The biggest problem I have seen, at least in my area, is a lack of many qualified installers for this type of product. A nice bonus about the film, when you go to sell your car one day, you can peel it off, and the front end will look factory fresh.

Check out these sites for info:

"AlanW" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Steve Larson

I have the film on my A4 and thought it was so beneficial I had them add it to my wife's RX330 when we purchased it.

We got ours through the Lexus dealership and it has saved the front end from rock chips. I went with the dealerships because I have seen some of the tint places go out of business and if you have any warranty issues, it is easier because you just call the dealer. Ours was $499 through the dealer.

In Colorado, the road crews generally use sand instead of salt and rock chips are the norm; the invisible bra has prevented this from happening.

YMMV.

Reply to
Anonymous

Interesting post! I am a cheapskate, and based on my dealings with dealerships, I tend to be skeptical of dealership aftermarket add-ons. I agree that front-end bras or masks tend to cause more damage than they prevent, and those Lexan hood shields do not help the appearance of a car. I guess I should think about the film ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

It may not be for everyone, but it sure has been a blessing for me.

Reply to
Steve Larson