Octane

Which is exactly what the FTC article is referring to.......whatever the manual recommends is what you should use.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Lexus recommends 91 octane or above for my 2004 ES330. My experience is that I get better mileage (and less hesitation/jerking) using premium gas (93 octane) than using regular gas (87 octane).

Virtually every gas station around me offers 3 grades of gas -- 87, 89 and

93 octane. Does anyone here fill up their tank with two-thirds 93 octane and one-third 87 octane to get a "blend" of 91 octane?

It seems like a bit of a hassle to save about a dollar a tank, but I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what their experience has been.

Reply to
David Z

I just use the mid-grade fuel and do not have any problems with performance, hesitation, etc. in my LS.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:gh6i0t$lk3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

I use 87 on my LS - no problems. I tested the fuel economy a while ago with 93 octane and 87. Filled the tank with 03 (after it was almost empty) and recorded the mpg per tank than did the same with 87. Both times driving the same route: a 1000 miles from Delaware to Michigan. The result was 2% or less difference. I am using 87 now.

Reply to
Colin

It's all about the COST PER MILE, people. Don't worry about the mileage in and of itself. It's the cost per mile to fuel the car.

Not all fuel is the same. You'd see a difference between, say, Shell gas and grocery store gas, all at 87 octane.

And the ONLY way to measure it decently is to run several tanks of each gas and measure it carefully.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Good idea in theory. However, it's impossible to drive exactly the same on two different tanks of gas. Anyone who thinks they can do that and use the data to gage small differences in mileage is kidding themselves.

Also, it's not only about cost. It's about performance, too.

Reply to
David Z

But if you do each gas over several tanks, it all comes out in the wash. Overall, over a couple thousand miles per type of gas, your driving is generally all the same.

And you'll discover that, too.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

That's about as scientific as astrology. It would be foolish to rely on such data.

Apparently you haven't discovered it yet. That's why, in response to "you may lose a bit of power and mileage," you said "It's all about the COST PER MILE, people" (see above, you know, the part you deleted).

Reply to
David Z

To the thousandths place, sure.

But try it--you'll be surprised at the information you can glean.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's not about the MILEAGE, it's about the COST PER MILE. People think "oooo, I'm getting 2mpg better" then they never factor in the cost of getting that extra 2mpg.

Performance is a completely different, and subjective, matter.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nonsense. Astrologists make the same claim.

Reply to
David Z

I taught you well, I see.

Reply to
David Z

Your wife complained to me just last night about your performance.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Like I said, very predictable.

Reply to
David Z

That you can't get it up? Absolutely.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

hehehehe Keep going, asswipe, for the world to see.

Reply to
David Z

It's ALL about the cost per.....asswipe.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

David -- stop having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent. It's just not fair! (but it IS amusing).

Reply to
GIga

The funny thing is I could keep this moron going on in perpertuity if I wanted.

Reply to
David Z