Regular Unleaded in a LS430?

I've never owed a car that required Premium gas. I currently drive a Lexus ES 300, and it takes regular. I want to step up to a LS430, but
just don't know if it "needs" premium. I work for a limousine company and our fleet is all Lincoln Town Cars. All we ever put in them is regular, and they work fine. Does anyone use regular in their LS430. Just wondering before I buy.

The manual says use premium, but that regular can be used without damaging the engine. That's what the manual for my 94 says, anyway.
I'd think you could easily go to the dealer and ask to see a manual. I never buy a car without reading the owner's manual, just to see about things like that.
wdg@[206.180.145.133] (New Owner) wrote:

But more importantly, does the manufacturer specify that 87 octane fuel can be used without causing damage to the engine or voiding the warranty?

Not in the owner's manual. The owner's manual clearly specifies "Premium".

My microwave says don't put any metal inside... it is easier to make blanket statements than try to explains the details to the masses.
I have a better answer than all of you, but it requires a little more work. I put in 1 part 87 octane to 1 part 93 octane...and tilt the mix to get about 91 octane which is what the car requires. I can tell from looking at any point on the gas gauge how many gallons needed to fill up (this took a some time and experimentation). I usually fill at half tank where it needs 11 gallons to fil. I'll put in 6 gallons of 93 octane then the balance of 87 octane. It requires two different credit cards at the pump, too, because most pumps will not work the second time if you use the same credit card...the pump thinks something is wrong. And if you use cash, you have to fill, pay, then fill and pay again (so I don't use cash).
One response here said if you can't afford the fine fuel you can't afford the fine car. My approach is different: It's being value-conscious like this that allows me to afford the fine car!

You are kidding, right?
Let's say premium gas is $0.25 higher than regular. You are saving $0.125/gallon. On a 20-gallon tank, you are saving $2.50. How long do you have to do this before you can afford a more expensive car.
You have to be an engineer -- probably software, right?
Hey, do you also mix half diet and half regular soda because your engine can handle 55 calories but not 110?
My father-in-law used to check the ads in the paper every Saturday morning and then drive clear across town to save 5 cents on a can of beans. We used to kid him about the 10 cents of gas he spent to save the 1, but he was raised in the depression and couldn't do it any other way.
It's a free country.
-- Owner of a 1999 LS400, purchased certified in 2002 and a 2001 RX 300, purchased certified in 2003 For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
I am dead serious.

So how much have you saved so far?

-- Owner of a 1999 LS400, purchased certified in 2002 and a 2001 RX 300, purchased certified in 2003 For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Probably only $40-$50.

D.D, where can you buy 93 octane gas?
Long time ago Exxon and Unocal used to have 93 octane (leaded I believe). Not any more.

Don't know where you guys are, but every gas station in Texas has 93 octane Premium. And 91 octane Mid-Grade is what the professor is trying to formulate. Most have the mid grade, also.
BTW, my wife's RX300 runs fine on 87 octane regular.
D.D., you are just trying *too* hard!
--
Stephen Clark
99 Lexus RX300

Around here, Pittsburgh, it's 87, 89 and 93. Yet the 89 gas is priced halfway between 87 and 93...but is not half the octane difference. So, as I posted, I "create" my own 90-91 octane for a price about halfway between 87 and 93. Yeah, I'm a cheap SOB, but I FEEL better about it!

car,
This has been tested (repeatedly). Performance, on average, drops about the same amount you save (15%). If you can't tell the difference when a car makes 15% less power, then yes, probably makes sense to burn regular. But on has to ask: if you're not caring about performance to this degree, why did you bother paying a lot more for a high performance car in the first place? You can save a lot more than 15% gas money driving an Avalon.
- Mark
Tested by who? Under what circumstances? We're not talking about numbers here, we're talking about real world driving experience. I'm simply saying that under normal (whatever that means) driving conditions, I cannot tell any difference between the regular and premium fuel. As I stated in my original e-mail, if you hook up a dynamometer to the car, you probably will easily measure and can report the difference. So what?
BTW -- I don't only buy LS430's for their performance. Yes, it's a factor, but there are a LOT more features to the car than just "GO". If I wanted a "GO" car, I'd buy a Ferrari (which has NO other features other than "GO").
...and the beat goes on ...
Carl

anyone
the
Like I said Carl, if you can't tell the difference between a 300-hp car and a 265-hp car, go for the regular.
- Mark
Read the manual that comes with the car. Then read the WARRANTY. Most warranties will be VOIDED if you don't use the fuel (octane) prescribed for your car. If you have engine problems that are in any way related to the fuel system..........you will be on your own. The warranty will not cover it.
jsd wrote:

That's just plain wrong. How the heck would they know what kind of fuel you put in the car? You really think they're going to extract some fuel from the tank and test it to determine? Yeah, they've got nothing better to do than that.
Carl

The MB computer that they hook up to your engine everytime you go in for service specifies fuel usage characteristics, including the average octane. It is quite easy for MB to determine the octane of the fuel you have been using.