Oil Additives

I recently had my '03 ES300 in for it's 10,000 mile maintenance. I noticed that the dealer adds BG oil additive as a part of this regularly scheduled oil change. I didn't get it because I asked for a by the book maintenance. I don't recall seeing it listed on the 5,000 mile schedule. I'm sure there is no harm, but after reading so much about oil gel I'm wondering if this is a preventive measure. The service advisor only said it helps to "clean the engine".

Is it a good practice or just a way for the dealer to get more $$? Any thoughts?

Reply to
hm

In news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, hm being of bellicose mind posted:

If you never let your oil get BLACK, then you'll never have "gelling / sludge." Oil can turn BLACK sooner or later than the customary 5,000 mile average DEPENDING on your driving habits and environmental conditions. IT's up to you to pull the dipstick now and then .... take a look.

Reply to
Philip®