for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

shock, horror, they used oil analysis to arrive at these recommendations!

Reply to
jim beam

If the vehicles belong to them, they can do WTF they desire with them...

Reply to
hls

C'mon, jim. It's a great way to get your hands dirty and have a few beers.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Another one into the killfile bucket along with the cross poster.

Reply to
Al Goreby

If you drive your car like a fleet vehicle than this might apply. If you are the typical driver you better stick to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

3M miles on 120 vehicles averages to 25K miles per vehicle. What's that, about a year on a fleet vehicle? That's supposed to be convincing?
Reply to
ACAR

when i posted this - i was thinking of the people that do what their granddaddy did, even though combustion technology, fuels, oils and engine metallurgy are dramatically different these days. i was hoping to enlighten, but i guess i'd forgotten just how rigidly proud some people are of their ignorance and ability to keep their head stuck firmly in that sand.

next time you get sick, doubtless you're going to resort to burning camphor and bread poultices. those "doctor" people and their new-fangled "technology" and "drugs" clearly don't know what they're doing.

Reply to
jim beam

I've always thought the 3,000 mile habit is stupid and wasteful for the average passenger car. Mine typically go 5-6,000, another benefit of changing my own is that I leave a lot less old oil in the pan than the average Jiffy Lube by letting it drain all night.

Reply to
Mark

Does that really matter?

Of course, not going to Jiffy Mistakes is a good idea.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

The article linked above is a good read and helps reinforce my belief about going with the manufacturer's recommendations on oil change intervals, or even longer.

The owner's manual for my 2003 Civic says to change the oil every 10k miles or every year, whichever comes first, using 5W20 non-synthetic, and assuming no extreme conditions, per what is explained to be "extreme" in the owner's manual.

The wikipedia entry for "motor oil" talks about how oil standards have changed, driving the increasing interval over the decades.

Reply to
Elle

of course not. the percentage difference it makes is vanishingly small. and that's not including the fact that some engines have oil deliberately pooled in locations that don't drain - to protect cam shafts for instance. new oil simply dilutes - unless the engine is completely stripped and cleaned, it's never a complete "change".

Reply to
jim beam

I could give a shit less about oil analysis. Toyota tells me when to change my oil. THEY are the authority, in my case, because they warranty my engine.

Reply to
hls

Then there's the risk that your wife will drive it to work in the morning, not knowing there's no oil in the engine...

Reply to
M.M.

On the other hand, changing the oil yourself will significantly cut down on other needed repairs to your vehicle because it eliminates the opportunity for other hands to cause problems.

Reply to
Obveeus

Well, if someone else paid for the oil analysis I wouldn't mind running the oil until the magic numbers said to change the oil. I like my mom's Buick, the computer tells her when to get the oil changed. It didn't tell her to get the manifold gasket changed that started leaking but I'm sure GM is working on a sensor for that.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

That may be the case for normal driving condition. Most people drive in severe conditions.

Reply to
Bob Jones

On Mar 30, 10:17=A0am, jim beam wrote: snip

well, he "changed" oil by adding when it was a quart or two low.

enlighten? Jim, you never enlighten, you issue directives.

generally, drug researchers don't make unqualified long term claims based on short term tests.

let me put it another way; you'd have to be an idiot to believe you can project the results from a year test on fleet vehicles to 10 years or more of normal passenger car use. not to mention folks in cold country are rightfully skeptical of tests conducted in CA.

are you familiar with engineering personality disorder?

just kidding....

Reply to
ACAR

Pretty sure he was directing the original post at the people that go far beyond the manufacturer's recommendations. Believe it or not, there are still some people out there doing two to three times the number of oil changes that the manufacturer recommends (i.e. 3000 mile oil changes) because they don't understand that excessive oil changes provide no additional benefit (and may actually be bad for the vehicle). I've never met one of these people in real life, but I've read their postings so they probably exist (maybe they are only in states that lack good public schools).

If 3000 mile oil changes are "cheap insurance" why aren't they changing the oil every 1500 miles or every 750 miles, and buying as much of that cheap insurance as they can get?

Reply to
SMS

Are you nuts? If I drove my car like a fleet vehicle, I'd exceed every service recommendation. It's not worth driving a fleet vehicle if you're not beating it like a rented mule...

Reply to
Joe

The 3000 mile guys are usually old-timers not willing to change. There is not enough evidence on the planet to convince my father that getting the oil changed at 6000 or 10000 is OK. He was brought up on

3000, and that's how it'll be until he dies.
Reply to
Joe