Question for Lexus Parts

I had a few questions regarding my 2002 RX300. How often should the antifreeze be changed in this car?? I have read that the first change should be done at three years and every two years thereafter. Some in this forum claim that the Toyota red antifreeze lasts up to five years. What is your view on this?? Also, how in the world do you get to the rear plugs?? I wanted to change them today but I just couldn't see how to reach them. Any help you could provide is appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
The Man

The initial coolant change is at 3 years because the coolant is diluted with distilled water. Not many places use distilled water when diluting coolant so subsequent changes are recommended at 2 years. If you use distilled water, you can stretch subsequent coolant replacement to 3 years. Toyota now has "long life" coolant, you can follow the instructions for replacement interval.

The rear plugs require universal joints on your sockets or extensions.

Reply to
Ray O

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:23:57 -0500, Ray O wrote (in article ):

Thanks for the advice about the coolant. But I still can't see getting to the rear plugs with just swivel joints. Unless you have hands the size of a child's. There's simply not enough room to get my hands back there. When you guys replace them in the shop you don't have to remove any components to get to them?? I'd buy a service manual but they don't seem to be available for this car.

Reply to
The Man

Try this Toyota/Lexus web site for info purchasing a factory service manual or purchasing on-line access:

Have you tried reaching up on the rear bank from under the vehicle?

Reply to
Ray O

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:14:20 -0500, Ray O wrote (in article ):

Thanks Ray, No, I didn't try that yet. When I saw how little clearance there was I decided to do some more research before I tried it again. When I'm ready to tackle this again, I'll try to access from under the car. Thanks for the website.

Alex

Reply to
The Man

You're welcome and good luck!