Question about maintainence

Hi all. PPL here are so helpful. I want to say thank you before I even get started with my question. I own a 98 GS 300. I bought it w/

42k miles and it now has 110k miles. It has never been to the dealer. I've done the brakes myself twice as well as coolant and oil changes every 4-5k miles w/ mobil 1 synthetic.

My question is Will the car break down on me if I don't get it serviced. Will serious damage occur to the car? I typically don't trust and can't afford work from the Lexus dealer so any work would have to be done by yours truly. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You So Very Much!! :)

Reply to
handogg

Well you haven't mentioned anything about a timing belt replacement (also the water pump) and at 110K you are probably more than due. That said, you are entering the period (100-150K) that is usually the most expensive time to own a Lexus (or most any other car for that matter). There are things on cars that just seem to wear out after about 100K. By the time you get done fixing whatever was prone to break (or wear out) and are above the 150K mark or so, you could easily be okay for another 100K.

Reply to
Jerohm

You should follow the recommended service items and intervals in your owner's manual. You can probably do most of it yourself except for the timing belt, which you could also do yourself with a repair manual, a fair selection of tools, and some experience or knowledge of engines. Independent shops are hit or miss unless you have experience with a reputable one. You can also ask your local Toyota dealer if they would be willing to do the timing belt replacement for you.

Reply to
Ray O

Well maybe to be a little more specific... The car runs great. Will the car break down on me and how soon?? Is there any way to tell.. I am planning to do the maintainence at some point.

Reply to
handogg

As with any assemblage of electrical, structural and mechanical components, it can be extremely difficult to predict at what point certain aspects of the 'machine' will fail. Even when properly maintained, a motor vehicle is still subject to give its owner problems. It can be due to heat aging of components, general wear, etc. There are myriad reasons for engine failures, electrical problems, etc. It can be due to poor engineering, bad manufacturing processes, you name it. But for the most part, 'poor engineering' and 'bad manufacturing processes' don't usually apply to the Lexus badge. Lexus vehicles aren't always 100% bulletproof, but you do stand a better chance of getting a reliable vehicle with a Toyota/Lexus product when compared to their competitors. At least from a statistical standpoint--and the numbers and facts don't lie.

The best advice that I can give you is to continue maintaining the vehicle to the best of your ability within your budgetary constraints, and follow the service guidelines in the owner's manual as close as possible. For service needs that are beyond your capabilities, I would get multiple price quotes from reputable, independent mechanics/garages, along with a Toyota dealership. My personal experience has been that certain Toyota dealerships can handle Lexus service needs just as good as a Lexus dealership for less money. Significantly less in certain cases. It definitely pays to shop around for all things automotive-related; or anything else for that matter.

Regards,

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Yep. Also, Lexus has a free Owner's Manual Supplement that is a maintenance schedule and log.

Reply to
Bo Yancey

I've been informed by several that you really need to replace the timing belt before it fails. You should have an experienced technician take a look at the timing belt and give you a report on its condition and anticipated useful life (to the best of their ability). I understand that if it breaks, it can really mess your engine up. That, plus a radiator flushing at least once a year, along with regular synthetic oil/filter replacements. g