Re: Toyota stalling may be linked to on-board computers, electronic control module

john wrote:

>> Yeah, I think all the recent problems are likely computer related. >> These ECUs just aren't up to their tasks. > >Really. The ECUs definitely have problems, but please show us a better >way that doesn't involve electronics. Carbs worked well, but wasted >fuel. Without electronics, are air would be dirtier, we would use more fuel. > >Please suggest a better way. > >Jeff >

I didn't read his comments to say ALL ECUs, just the ones in these vehicles. Most vehicles with ECUs don't have this kind of stalling problem.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I have seen tons of problems with a range of ECU's, particularly GM. GM had a run of ECU's that were very dangerous in that they would stall (die) under full speed freeway conditions if you lifted your foot from the pedal.

I fought the f***ing dealership for a long time on this, and they didnt even read the bulletins.

Finally, I got to the right guy at GM and he roasted the dealer over the coals, but got me a new ECU under warranty which cured the problem.

We went electronic because it was powerful and simple. There were certainly mechanical systems, even with FI. Fluids computers might have been able to take some of the trouble out of the system.

Military standards for components would have helped insure that the damn ECUs would work longer than a string of Christmas lights. But this might have been very expensive. Adequate quality would not have been expensive and could have removed most of the problems.

Reply to
hls

. Fluids computers might have

Should have been"fluidic computers".

Reply to
hls

What do you mean by "fluidic computers"?

Reply to
dr_jeff

Basically fluidics devices, amplifiers, sensors are passive devices which can handle some logic jobs.

Reply to
hls