SC400 Brake Pad Replacement

We have had a 92 SC400 and a 91 LS400 (now gone). On both these cars I have been amazed by the life of the brake pads.

On the SC400 I just replaced the front brake pads for the second time at

181,200 miles. I use the standard Toyota parts (PN 04465-24021; $45 at irontoad.com). The new pads have about 11 mm (.434 in) friction material on each pad. After 86,000 miles, the replaced front pads still had about 5.1 mm (.202 in) of friction material left. That's barely half used in 86K miles! Our old Volvo had to be coaxed to get 25,000 miles out of a set of brake pads. Most of our driving is local, not highway, believe it or not.

I don't expect our current LS430 to do nearly as well as it's ancestors. But I'll be interested to see.

Changing the pads is remarkably easy. Complete tutorial w/ pictures can be found at

It is for an LS400, but the SC400 brakes are identical.

For your info...

XPlant

Reply to
Xplant

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:40:51 -0700, "Xplant" graced this newsgroup with:

just looked at the site...looks pretty simple. A LOT easier than the Explorer I had.

Now, if someone had the same procedure for my 02 LS430, that would be great!

Reply to
nospam