Scheduled Maintenance question

I drive my IS 250 way below average because I use public transportation for my work commute. Lexus recommends a check up based on mileage or months - whichever comes first. If you don't drive the car as much, do you think it's important to get service based on months driven? For example, my next scheduled maintenance should be the 12 months or

10,000 miles. Right now, I'm at 6k miles but at 18 months. No signs of any problems....mostly city driving.
Reply to
D h

It is generally safe to use mileage to determine when to have scheduled maintenance performed, however, get the oil changed at least once a year.

Reply to
Ray O

Not using it, and using it very lightly as you do, is as damaging as overusing it.

You are in the "severe use" maintenance category, believe it or not.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Well, not knowing anything about the subject....I don't believe it :) What parts are being damaged? Probably not the brakes, exhaust, tires, etc. Transmission, drive train and engine? Sounds like he drives it enough to keep oil circulated through them occasionally. Could you elaborate?

Reply to
Wayne

Here's an example: the car frequently doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the water that's an inevitable result of combustion and plain old being outside in the weather. That water will destroy the exhaust system way before its time, and that water will stay in the oil system and the oil is way less effective than it otherwise would be.

The answer: drive the car enough on a regular basis to evaporate that moisture. 5K miles a year, if spread over three drives or so a week, isn't enough.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty