Tyre wear on IS200

Hi I've just had a £197 shock by having to have two new front tyres. As the car has barely 10000 miles on the clock couldn't believe it. Is this normal for a Lexus? Or am I a 66 yr old boy racer burning rubber at every opportunity? I've had the car from new and it has suffered the same conditions of storage, use etc as all my previous Jap. cars which all managed 30000 miles plus between tyre changes. Man at the Lexus garage who did the job as part of MOT/annual service said I was lucky "RXs only do 8000 per new tyres". Phew, what a let off!!!!! peter

Reply to
Petert

As you have discovered, original equipment tyres tend to have a fairly short tread life due to soft rubber compounds formulated with traction rather than wear in mind. This is especially true of cars equipped with low profile sporty tyres.

Reply to
Ray O

So what is that 197 in real dollars? ;-)

Oh - if you change tyres to a different grade of tire, you probably void the warranty and the stealership will tell you you can't expect to get the same performance or comfort level from the car.

Reply to
mcbrue

Not so here

Reply to
OldMan
10K is pretty LOW... on the other hand, less than 20K seems to be becoming more common... unexceptable, but more common. I don't hot rod around, but I certainly remember the days of 60K/set ... no more
Reply to
Jerohm

The problem is that the drug dealers, pimps, and other criminals popularized the thin tire on big rims. Those tires have inadequate amounts of material to stand up for more than 10 or 20,000 miles on modern cars used in normal driving. So the incredibly rotten dealerships immediately began pressing the car companies to put these useless tires on the cars as the stealerships make a dollar or two per tire sold. And they are not in business to provide anything except livings for themselves. So the consumers again get it in the shorts! Complain to the dealers - they are the ones who pushed this on us.

Reply to
mcbrue