Mixing tyres on an axle - good or bad?

For a total of about 15 years, I've been running around with an LPG tank in the spare wheel well instead of the spare wheel, and not a single puncture was had.

Four weeks into my ownership of an RX450h with a spare wheel and I get a puncture! Not only that, it's so close to the sidewall to make repair impossible, so tomorrow I'll be swapping one hundred and fifty or so of our Great British beer tokens for a new tyre :-@

The fronts are Bridgestones (can't remember exactly which ones and as it's dark, cold and wet, I'm not going out to find out) and the rears - of which this is one - are Dunlop SP Sport 270. I usually like to have all four tyres the same but I just can't afford to do that now, especially as all these tyres have a decent amount of tread. The Dunlops seem to get bad reviews, although in the 1,000 miles I've done since getting the car, I have to say they seem alright to me.

I'm just wondering if I should take the opportunity to change to a brand that I'm more comfortable with and that get better reviews, but that would mean there would be three different brands of tyre on the car and I'm guessing that that isn't really 'a good thing'TM

Should I stick with Dunlop to match its axle-mate or should I get something different and start the gradual migration to a whole set?

Reply to
Pete Zahut

You can only do what you can afford to do.

Preferably replace the whole set in one go.

Next best is to keep each axle using the same make and type of tyre, newest tyres on the back.

A friend with an LS430 went back to Dunlops all round because they suited the car best and were quietest.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I don't believe it matters if you change a single tyre with a different brand. Punctures just happens, beware if you visit a places like B&Q, lots of sundries may lying around off the builders vans. I now keep an eyeball out for such when visiting B&Q. I have replaced single tyres in the past with no problems whatsoever, other than in my mind. However, I always change either pair or four tyres when it's time to change.

Reply to
johannes

Sure, change one if you have to, but it could not be a recommended way to go.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yeah if you have the dou. Try listen to this one when it comes to tyre changes for his MacLaren F1, hilarious!

johannes

worst place for punctures is recycling plants, there are screws everywhere from happy recyclers.

Reply to
critcher

Have to say that our main recycling centre always seems very good. In industry, there are various sizes of magnetic "sweepers" which are used to pick up ferrous debris, I have never seen them using one, but would not be surprised if they did.

Reply to
newshound

What's the spare wheel /tyre ?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Nothing to do with a recyling centre, but I picked up a screw in my tyre the other day. Today though, the good news, for the first time in years ... it was actually repairable :)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker