Window cleaning

The folks who wash cars in the car wash place have been polishing and polishing and polishing and ... my windows trying to get them cleaned. But when I look at the windows in reflected light, there is dirt and smearing still there. And when I go into the gas station and have my windows cleaned or do it myself with that squeege thingy there are lots of streaks left. On other cars I have owned I have not had this problem. Is there some special property of the glass used in the LS430 that makes the windows do this? The windows are all extremely clear and are most uncomfortable in bright sunlight if that has anything to do with it.

Reply to
mcbrue

Try cleaning the inside and outside of the windows with window cleaner and newspaper.

Reply to
Ray O

One word: Windex

Reply to
Fidelis K

Windex sucks. Use Stoners Inviable Glass. This stuff works better than anything else on the market. You may have to clean them a couple of times, but this stuff really works.

Reply to
Wayne

I have the same problem with my ES 330 when the dealer gets done with it -- it's because the guys are in a hurry to get the cars in and out.

I've had the problem with streaky/smeared windows for years with all of the cars I've owned. I found out a few years ago that the 'film' that builds up on the inside of the glass on vehicles is caused by gases released from the interior materials.

I've never had a problem with Windex. Newspapers as paper towels work really well -- almost no streaking/smearing.

Reply to
Mike Piacente

The most effective clean is the tiniest amount of washing up liquid in some water and use a sponge or old towel, then dry with screwed up newspaper (this is the important trick).

Before I tried it, I thought it was just an old wive's tale, but it is the best there is to get rid of all those smears and gunge.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Either do the newspaper or

Try using just water and a chamois.

-- use soapy water/water/and towel for very dirty areays. But finish off with a sheep skin chamois

Trust me.

Reply to
RningOnFumes

Right, don't use Windex. All the commercial products I know of have chemical additives that will leave streaks. Warm water with a small amount of ammonia mixed in cuts the dirt and film and leaves no streaks. And the newspaper advice is good too, at least I've heard it works well. The problem with most car wash window cleaning is they use the same rags on the windows that they use all over the car, spreading who knows what onto the glass. I use clean towels that are only used on the glass, and those are used first on the inside glass.

I don't think there is anything unique about Lexus glass. If your car is new the interior parts may be giving off chemical fumes that fog the inside of the windows though.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

I know the problem, it is due to synthetic material inside the car, primarily plastic, that is degrading due to heat and sunlight and gives off fumes that coat your auto inside windows. Best cleaner I found for this is to soak a rag in a little vinegar and wipe the glass clean, it will work better than any windex or similar product on the market. Remember you are removing deposited plastic, not grime or grease from your inside windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
kitzler

Bon Ami cleanser.

That's all you need...and some water and a sponge.

Works great.

Reply to
nopcbs