Is there an LS400 Faq somewhere?

I'm looking maybe to go a little upmarket soon. I have been driving a Skoda Octavia recently which is nice, has some toys, but doesn't "feel" special. I used to a couple of proper classic Saab 900s so I know what comfort quality and performance feels like, and I owned a Toyota Celica GT4, so I know what longevity and build quality looks like.

I wouldn't have a modern Saab as they are GM parts bins. And I don't want a bigger VAG car as I don't consider them that special even in higher up specs.

So I've decided I want an LS400. This will be either a UK car, or an UK imported JDM model. I know I will be looking at the higher mileage mid to low 90's models. What should I look for, what can I expect to need replacing/repairing servicing?

I looking for a luxury car that his hit the bottom of the depreciation curve dispite a reputation for being carved from Rock. Mercedes used to be like that. But the Chrylser thing has made sure that they become disposable instead of cherished. They are now too unreliable.

So does anyone run a FAQ page anywhere, so I can look at different model specs, potential weak/neglect spots. I want to be prepared for what may expensive, to save being unprepared for what might be "very expensive".

I know the earlier model years are just reaching the price point where "kids" will buy them, run them into the ground to show some "bling" then dump them on someone else as a money pit. But they are just reaching the point where they are becoming "retro" to us real older car enthusiasts, while still maintaining the necessary comforts to make daily driving a pleasure. I want V8 grumble in a euro spec car with a fairly modern feel. Apart from an unreliable merc, or a "badge tax" bmw I can't think of another make.

Oh and purely for cosmetic vanity, what are the chances of finding a black or dark grey paint job with black or dark grey leather? One of my pet hates is, every manufacturer seems to pair black paint with tan/biscuit/cream leather.

Reply to
Elder

Main thing is the timing chain, it has to be replaced every 90,000 miles. This is the type of engine design where Very Bad Things will happen if it breaks in service. This 90,000 mile replacement is an expensive and complicated repair so it's common to also replace the water pump at a pretty low additional cost "while they are in there." Also mine eats batteries, needs a new battery every year or even more often. Other than that, this car is rock solid reliable.

In that case this may not be the car for you. It's powerful but it's designed for smoothness rather than sportiness. It is a very quiet and smooth car. Usually the biggest gripe that critics have is that it has an "uninvolving ride" and "isolates" you from the road too much.

Reply to
xyzzy.dude

sorry to reply to my own post, but the above is typo. Mine is a 1998.

Reply to
xyzzy.dude

No worries and when I say European feel I mean like a Jag/Merc/Beemer not like a very tightly sprung normal jap family car or the alternative being a wallowing pitching american import with over soggy soft springs.

And interms of the V8 grumble. I would rather a delicate grumble than a loud barking roar. Keep it subtle and refined. Let the numbers not the noise do the talking.

So, as long as it has had belts done at the appropriate times (and pump hopefully) and a comprehensive service history, they really are as generally bomb proof as they say?

Reply to
Elder

Hi

I have 1996 with Dark Grey outside (Lexus calls it Moonstone Pearl) and light grey inside.

I am very happy with it except for the following new problems with it which I have to fix.

- Exhaust smells terrible at starting.

- A loose connection somewhere in the drivers side door a) which unhooks the phone if the door is slammed too hard. and b) power door lock doesn't work.

- drivers seat is much too hard after about an hour or so. Passenger and rear are in much better shape.

I bought it 3rd hand less than a year ago at 150,000 km.

Some interesting websites: lexls.com lexusownersclub.com

Good Luck.

Reply to
AHJ

check out

its by far the best Lexus resource.

Reply to
NYLexSC

You claim you have never driven a luxury car so you will probably be satisfied with a Lexus. Most likely it is much more reliable than a Mercedes. The engineering is for show, not go, however, and you may notice a difference between the Swedish cars and the Lexus in that respect. I have one because the Mercedes are unreliable - they stranded me by the side of the road 3 times in 10 years. The Lexus dealers are not what they claim to be, unfortunately, so I no longer give the Lexus a high mark for that. But the cars are supposed to be reliable. My wife has driven two of the little ES models and they have had few problems. The first one did have a tranny blow out as a routine expected event for the 1993 model year. The new 2003 tranny for ES had well known killer hesitation problems. So I would not buy the new LS460 until the new 8 speed tranny is proven in driving in the US, but it might actualy be smooth in operation unlike the 6 speed jerker I have. The wife's

2000 ES disks wrinkled up like no others I have seen, and the evidence I have so far is that the 06 430 brakes are destined to do the same - they certainly are starting out rough and the dealer states that is normal. The routine maintanence costs are fully priced - as high as a Mercedes, and the oil change frequency is higher due to their inability to use good synthetic oils. That is, the Lexus is not perfect by far, and is not a true luxury car, but it is likely the most reliable high end car out there. So dive in and enjoy the Lexus!
Reply to
mcbrue

WRONG ... it is NOT a true driver's car, but it most certainly IS a true luxury car. If you disagree, which I KNOW you do, be specific. For the sheer fun of driving, the 6&7 series BMWs and S series Mercedes win hands down ... at a cost. Is the LS perfect?? nope ... but it is right up there.

Reply to
Jerohm

Can I ask, what fuel you use, and do you do a lot of short journeys?

Just trying to work out whether this is regular catalytic converter sulphur build up in your car, or something I should look out for?

Thanks the other info and the links will come in useful.

Reply to
Elder

Cheers appreciated.

Reply to
Elder

Are you saying that they look good but aren't as reliable as a Saab or Mercedes?

My 900 was certainly built strong and for performance. And leather, aircon, electric everthing with a 2litre turbo motor in

1984 felt pretty special with 130k miles on the clock at 20 years old.

I'm hoping that a Lexus can live upto that and improve on it.

Reply to
Elder

Thanks. No car is perfect. Most Ferraris can't carry luggage. Most Porsches can't carry passengers. Most S classes are built for the rear passengers not the driver and I guess most LS400s are the same. A compromise, but I hope a good one I can live with.

Reply to
Elder

I suspect that the engineering in the Saab is better and more user-friendly or user-oriented than in the Lexus. The Lexus will, however, probably outlast anything else on the road.

So tonight it was about 52 F out. I went out, got into my LS430, started it up. The windshield and the side windows fogged up because the heater was on. That is luxury?????

I drove off and of course the air blowing out of the side vent in the dash cooled off. I could have warmed it up by turning the temp up to around 80, but I figured I had a jacket on and it would keep me warm until I finished my short 5 mile drive. In that time the seat heater just barely came on. Again - luxury????

Reply to
mcbrue

I have a solution for you McWhiney. Just drive it off a cliff.

That would solve all of your problems.

Reply to
David Z

Well it's not like a Jag/ Merc/Beemer. Those cars are oriented toward sporty feel and driver invovlement. The Lexus is more oriented toward smoothness and quiet luxury. Different goals. I suggest you google on "lexus ls400" you'll find plenty of objective reviews from many sites, some of which compare it with those cars.

Mine has been, except for needing a new battery every year. Sample size of 1 however. :)

Reply to
xyzzy.dude