1992 Honda Civic 1.5 LSi questions

My partner has just purchased a 650 1992 Honda Civic 1.5LSi saloon as a replacement for his company car when he changes jobs next week. The
car is in generally very good condition for year and has had full Honda service history by the original owner right up until 2001. Then the history finishes..
The car has done 72,000 miles and the engine starts and runs very sweetly except the car judders a bit when pulling away in every gear, but most noticable in first. My partner thinks this could possibly be the throttle cable sticking, any other causes for this?
He has changed the air filter and plugs and the car has had an oil/ filter change and a new exhaust as the old one was blowing slightly. It needs a CV boot changing but apart from that there's little else wrong. However he was wondering whether it needs a cam-belt change. we can't find any evidence that it has been done. As he's only probably going to keep the car for a year at the most, is it worth taking the risk and not changing it?
Any other problems he may face with this model of car?
[...]
Firstly if there is no history of a cambelt change, do it now, immediately. Its cheap and easy on the single cam lump.
Secondly the judder- could be soft engine mounts / broken mount. Get a pry bar, climb underneath and check. (NB car not supported on jack!)
These little honda's are generally about as reliable as it gets.
Tim..

He did have a look at the engine mounts just by rocking the engine - but didn't get beneath the car. Re: cam belt he's got a Haynes manual and a few tools but he's hoping he'll get a new tool set as a leaving pressie from his old job as most of the tools he's been using have to go along with the company car!! Any recommendations for tools that are definately needed? He bought a large torque wrench last weekend when he changed the wheel bearings on his motorbike.
He wanted a Honda because of the reliability reputation. His company car was a 2006 civic so for a few weeks he's had two examples!
The car has done 72,000 miles and the engine starts and runs very sweetly except the car judders a bit when pulling away in every gear, but most noticable in first. My partner thinks this could possibly be the throttle cable sticking, any other causes for this?
Do you really mean 'pulling away in every gear'? Old Japanese cars often juddered quite a bit pulling away if the clutch was worn down to the rivets. No slipping at all, just juddering.
On 12 Apr, 18:32, "SteveB" <sbrads24^ukfsnDOTorg> wrote:

I just meant that it didn't just happen in first gear the juddering also occurred in other gears when accelerating after changing up.

So it is judder under acceleration. If this is much worse in lower gear and the engine is running right, then suspect a CV joint.
Mrcheerful

Could be - he's getting the CV boot replaced today because of a split - but perhaps the joint is for want of a better word - buggered. There's no knocking sound when on full lock though.

perhaps it is the inner one making noise, not the outer !
Mrcheerful

dodgy tyre or damaged wheels are well worth looking at too