Largest tyres I can fit to my Escort

I have a 1998 Escort Estate TD.

It had 14" steel wheels (6J) with 185/60 tyres on them, although I notice the spare is 175/65.

I have been given some 14" alloy wheels that have 185/55 tyres on them.

However, the ride is now so hard, especially as it is an estate. Since the tyres will shortly need replacing I would like to increase the profile.

Anyone know what size I could fit to these wheels? Ideally I would like as large as possible since, for the type of driving I do, I would prefer the easier ride and better fuel ecomony at speed.

Clearly, I could put 185/60 on, but could I go to 185/65 or even 185/70 if possible? The problems about the speedo I understand but I am more concerned if the increased size will mean they scrape on full lock or if the suspension bottoms out.

Thanks for any help. Rob

Reply to
Kalico

you should have kept the same size tyres simple :)

185/60/14
Reply to
dojj