1997 Polo question

1997 Polo 1.4 8-valve.

I've got this intermittent screech/warbling sound from the distributor end of the engine, it has just started today. Does not seem revs-dependent. Could it be the water pump bearings? Not sure whether the pump is behind the thermostat housing or not.

TIA

Reply to
Fiona

see if it varies with clutch pedal pressing, if so then it is clutch bearing (probably) . water pump is at the end with belts on.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, mrcheerful

It's independent of whether I have the clutch pedal pressed down or not. And seems to be worse this evening! Rev the engine and the noise rises to a SHRIEK, then it stops for a few seconds and resumes . Sounds very much to me as though it is from the distributor. Does that have bearings that are prone to fail?

Fiona

Reply to
Fiona

The message from "Fiona" contains these words:

Sounds like a belt to me. Check them for tightness first and see if that cures it before doing anything expensive. Get it shrieking and pour a cup of water over the alternator or power steering belt and see if it stops.

Reply to
Guy King

it is not likely to be distributor bearing, although it is possible. give it a spray inside the distributor with wd 40 or similar if the noise can be temporarily stopped bu this then you have found the problem. as guy said the belts are more likely to cause a shriek, spray water on the belt when it is squealing or remove the belt and try it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I seem to have cured it, at least for the moment, by spraying WD40 inside the distributor cap onto the shaft. The awful noise stopped at once, and had not returned after an hour's test drive. The car has only done 41000m so I would resent having to replace the distributor. Thanks for your answers.

Reply to
Fiona