1999 Focus - Temperature Gague/Overheating.

Back in December the temperature gague shot up into the red, when I drove at any kind of speed dropped back to dead normal around town.

I took it to my usual garage who changed the thermostat/flushed the system, no change, took the car back they had another look and assured me the engine wasn't overheating, they suggested I took it to Fords. Went to the local Ford dealer who had what I can assume was a very brief look (They didn't charge me anything!!!, I was willing to pay just wanted it sorted) they too said the engine's fine, "we "think" it the cluster" =A3250 on we think!. I took it to a guy recommended by a friend, he took the car out on the road to the point where it should be about steaming/bubbling and the engine was perfectly normal, ran a test on the head gasket which was fine. He too was 90% sure it was the cluster.

The car is doing some weird things electrically, the cental locking locks the doors as it's being driven, when I start it up in the morning all the dials on the dash fly up to the maximum before returning to zero, the dash lights and headlights dim slighlty when I stop, the gague tends to go up and down some times when I go up or down hills. All point to an electrical fault.

BUT

Maybe i'm a little paranoid but it does appear to be using a bit of coolant, no obvious leaks but when I do top up the coolant the problem can disappear for around a week, did 500 miles to the south coast and back a few weeks ago, not a hint of trouble. Topped it up on Saturday and no problem since.

Other than all of the above the car runs as well as it's ever done.

I've driven it since Christmas with no physical sign of it overheating It's a T reg and I don't want to spend that much looking for a minor problem.

Anyone any ideas?

Reply to
n1968m

The instruments are usually fed through a voltage stabilizing device or they would wander all over the place as the charging voltage varied. I'd guess that if your is that this could well be playing up.

Less that a tenner to buy if I'm right.

Reply to
1 and 2 and 3 and 4