1999 Focus tensioner failure!!!

A 99 focus with 53k on the clock was towed in today as a non runner, Cambelt tensioner broken up ( plastic outer broken off) trashed all exh valves. I think the replacement interval is 100k............. good old Ford at least it's consistent :O)

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

In message , jOn..... writes

To be fair its the first premature failure I've heard of. What engine was it?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Doh! knew i'd forgotten somthing it was a 1.4 zetec

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Don't they say 100k miles or 2 years whichever is the soonest. I heard of a newish astra breaking its belt 1k before it was due to be changed .... i think the car was clocked anyway.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

First I have heard of. This was possibly an SE rather than E was it?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I was thinking DTi's...

Plod seem perfectly capable of blowing these up with alarming regularity from what i understnd>

Reply to
Tom Burton

Really? Better tell that to my mate who's just bought an X reg 1.7DTI ex plod Astra with 101k on the clock!

I really thought he'd made a mistake buying it, but it's in remarkably clean condition, and the engine runs absolutely spot on, with no smoke at all with the foot to the floor. Seems bloody good on fuel too. I'm almost tempted to get a 1.7DTI Astra van.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

no no I ment the plod focus tdi ( tdci???)

I want one of the astra 1.7DTI's. but im told they are a bit lacking in urgency, much better off with a 2.0 whats his MPG???

Reply to
Tom Burton

Plod have been blowing up Foci TDdi's too, and at least one 'ci. - Cam belt and turbo failure.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.