1st gear judder

Its not happening everytime put sometimes when you lift of in first gear there is a very obvious judder, not warning lights are on, a scan with diagnostics shows no faults. I was guessing something to do with coilpacks.

The cars at 85k clutch was done at 54k

Drives well apart from that. its the mk4 golf 1.6s 16v 2001 AZD engine.

any ideas on what can cause this ?

Thanks

to add, I feel the vibration in the clutch pedal.

Reply to
Thelibrarian

The traditional causes of this are oil on the clutch, and engine or gearbox mountings. More modern cars may have other causes.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

If you're feeling it through the pedal, I would think you have a clutch judder rather than an engine problem.

The life of a clutch can vary enormously, depending upon the type of usage the car has (e.g. town/country/motorway) and the style and tendencies of the driver. If the first clutch falied after just 54k, it's not inconceivable that problems are surfacing again.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Glad its not an engine problem stu.

I bought the car at 54k the clutch was slipping a lot. I'm quite got with my clutch I've taken clutches up to 80/90k before on other cars though on the original.

But its possible, I do a bit of town and mainly country driving occasional motorway driving. A fair amount of stop start driving.

Its not too bad yet, I figure it will get worse, or the judders more violent.

Do you think it would be ok to leave it till that to get it changed or could it likely cause damage to anything else in its path ?

Reply to
Thelibrarian

I'm not an expert but I would've thought you can live with it so long as the vibration isn't severe. It may or may not get worse, depending on the cause. Sometimes it's because oil is leaking onto the clutch and other times it's because the clutch has overheated and warped slightly.

If it does get really bad, then I would have it done, because excessive juddering would be bad for the engine mounts, gearbox bearings and driveshaft joints.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

On 15

Personally, I feel that if it's the clutch and it's something you can live with then it's OK not to have it dealt with. But check the engine mounts. They may be the cause.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Especially the 'dogbone' mount at the bottom, in the middle. Common failure.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

a customer of mine snapped one of those outside my house, she came to pick the car up (a VW passat) and when she went to drive away she somehow forgot it was a manual (having been driving auto while the car was with me), put it into reverse and slipped her foot off the clutch, luckily she still had her other foot planted on the brake, since it was a diesel with a good clutch there was a bang that I heard in the house! and the mount was snapped in two.

Reply to
Mrcheerful